Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best way transfer existing internal HD data to new internal HD? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2883)

bruno 09-18-2007 03:48 AM

Best way transfer existing internal HD data to new internal HD?

Hi,

I've read through the manual and a few of these posts but I still don't know if I am on the right track.

I have a C2D Mac Mini with the factory installed 80GB Hitachi 5400 RPM drive. I recently purchased a 200GB Hitachi 7200 RPM drive and would like to make this the new internal drive for the Mac Mini.

I was planning connecting the 200GB HD to the Mac Mini via a FireWire 2.5" Drive Enclosure Kit and using Disk Utility to format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and set the partition scheme to GUID Partition Table.

Next I planned on using SuperDuper to make the 200GB HD a clone of the original 80GB HD drive.

Finally, I was hoping to simply swap these two drives; the new 200GB would be placed in the Mac Mini and the original 80GB HD would be placed into the FireWire 2.5" Drive Enclosure Kit.

Would this yield a "bootable" Mac Mini with all of my programs and preferences intact? Or is this not possible? If not, what is the best/fastest way to transfer over my programs and preferences to the new 200GB HD?

My Mac Mini may be less than a month old, but I have already spent many hours installing programs and getting the HD just right for my needs. I'd hate to have to repeat that process again if I didn't have too.

Also, is it important the the the FireWire 2.5" Drive Enclosure Kit have the Oxford chipset? I don't plan on using the external enclosure kit to boot up the mini; only to house the new 200GB HD while I run disk utility on it. Afterwards it will serve as a potable external 80GB HD.

Thanks,

Bruno

dnanian 09-18-2007 11:19 AM

Yep, that should work fine. I'd strongly suggest Oxford chipsets, yes, since they work better during copying, too (others can produce errors under heavy load).

Name the "new" drive the same as the "old" drive before you swap.

bruno 09-18-2007 12:49 PM

Thanks,

I get the drive later this week and will do the upgrade this weekend. I'll post my results.

Bruno

bruno 09-21-2007 03:27 PM

Can I use a USB enclosure instead?

I got my new Hitachi drive in the mail today and am anxious to preform the upgrade. But I have been unable to find a 2.5 HD Firewire enclosure for SATA HD's in any of my local stores (Fry's, Best But, etc).

Even looking online, the only Firewire enclosures that I could find that were compatible with my new 2.5 SATA drive were expensive $90 kits from OWC and Radtech.

Do I need a Firewire enclosure? Can I use a USB enclosure to perform the upgrade?

I am not planning on booting from the enclosure; I only need the enclosure so that I connect the new 200GB Hitachi HD to my new C2D Intel Mac Mini and clone my existing 80GB Hitachi HD to the new 200GB Hitachi HD.

After the cloning process is complete, I am going to open up the mini and swap out the HD's. Would this process work with an USB enclosure? Or would SuperDuper write some USB code onto the new HD in the USB enclosure and prevent it from booting up my Mac Mini once it is installed in the mini?

Thanks,

Bruno

dnanian 09-21-2007 04:25 PM

You can use a USB enclosure with an Intel Mac.

bruno 09-22-2007 10:02 PM

Just wanted to thank you for all the help! The upgrade went off without a hitch, thanks to SuperDuper! I just purchased the license and will recommend the product to my Mac using friends.

Thanks again,

Bruno

dnanian 09-23-2007 07:44 AM

Glad to hear it, Bruno!