Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Booting with Safety Clone? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539)

dgboat 07-13-2005 09:41 PM

Booting with Safety Clone?

How can I tell if my computer is booting up with the Safety Clone? When I check the start-up drive in System Preferences, the Safety Clone drive (partition) is highlighted. After a restart (specifying the Clone), I click About This Mac, which tells me I'm running Mac OS 10.3.9 (which is currently installed on my Macintosh HD). However, I've updated my Clone to 10.4. In System Preferences, the Clone is identified as 10.4. I'm not sure what a 10.4 desktop looks like, but I think it should be somewhat different than what I see with 10.3.9.

BTW, holding down the Option key during the boot process provides no options for start-up. The process continues as if I was not holding down the Option key.

My system consists of a Mac G3 BW with 1 Mb of Ram and a Sonnet Encore/ZIF G4 500 MHz processor. The internal hardrive (Macintosh HD) is 12 Gb. Attached is a LaCie FireWire d2 128 Gb harddrive. The LaCie HD has 5 partitions. My Safety Clone is on a 20 Gb partition.

dnanian 07-13-2005 10:18 PM

It sounds to me like your Mac doesn't support booting from FireWire, dgboat, and also doesn't have Open Firmware, so it doesn't give option-boot...

dgboat 07-13-2005 11:12 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply - I'm impressed! Any suggestions on what I can do next?

dnanian 07-14-2005 07:31 AM

Well, the backup is still useful, since you can boot (hopefully) from your OSX install CD, as described in section 5 of the User's Guide, and restore that way. But, unfortunately, there's not much you can do if your computer can't boot from external drives, other than replace the computer...

dgboat 07-14-2005 12:05 PM

I was afraid of that. I use TechTool Pro for system maintenance and repair, but I couldn't get the eDrive created through that program to boot. Consequently, I couldn't do any maintenance/repair on my startup volume (don't have a TechTool startup CD, since the program was downloaded). In talking to their tech support people this morning, they said the same thing. I guess my "oldie but a goodie" doesn't have open firmware capabilities.

Since I can't utilize the Safety Clone capabilities, it looks like I can only use SuperDuper for backup functions. Can I use one of my ext hD volumes/partitions for the backup locations for my remaining volumes, putting backups from 4 separate volumes on one single, large volume? (I'm just trying to take advantage SuperDuper's capabilites!)

dnanian 07-14-2005 12:12 PM

Sorry to hear that your old machine (I know, it's not really that old!) isn't as well supported as you'd like: it's a difficult situation, because we rely on the capabilities of reasonably modern OSX boxes...

In any case, you *can* use the Safety Clone, you just have to boot from a volume that is bootable -- a partition on the internal drive would work, for example.

Rather than trying to back up four volumes onto one -- something that'll make restoring very difficult -- why not create four parallel backup volumes on the external (and, perhaps, a fifth for just data)?