Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD sannot find target Volume problem (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651)

braeside 09-02-2005 08:59 AM

SD sannot find target Volume problem

I have two user settings saved, I am calling them by means of a pair of Applescripts, in the way that others have described.
However I sometimes have a problem where SD starts and tries to find a volume that I have not specified in that particular setting and because the volume it is looking for is not there it comes up with a dialog box which I can dismiss and then it continues fine with my settings and does the backup.
This is a minor irritation when I use the script manually, but no good if I want to schedule it automatically as the it never dismisses the dialog.
Is there some way to stop SD from trying to mount volumes when it starts (ie get it to forget them from the last time it was run)?
I hope I have been clear enough...
Many thanks

-- David

dnanian 09-02-2005 09:47 AM

One way is to launch it by opening the settings, rather than by starting SuperDuper! and then loading them, David. Give that a try!

braeside 09-02-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
One way is to launch it by opening the settings, rather than by starting SuperDuper! and then loading them, David. Give that a try!

I will try and see if that works, but I am still puzzled why SD is looking for a volume that is no longer mounted even when I open it directly rather than from my applescript. Is there someway to delete a preference that might stop that?

dnanian 09-02-2005 10:19 AM

SuperDuper! always saves and re-loads your "default settings" so that it's easy for most people to back up: you just start SD!, verify your settings, and click "Start Copying".

Without that feature, you'd have to re-choose all your options each time you wanted to back up, which can be quite a pain.

There's no preference that controls this at the moment... it's just how the program works.

braeside 09-02-2005 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
SuperDuper! always saves and re-loads your "default settings" so that it's easy for most people to back up: you just start SD!, verify your settings, and click "Start Copying".

Without that feature, you'd have to re-choose all your options each time you wanted to back up, which can be quite a pain.

There's no preference that controls this at the moment... it's just how the program works.

Thanks for the explanation.

Here is my problem:
I have two applescripts, one that backs up to HD1 and the other to HD2 (I plan to schedule them at different times). The applescripts mount the appropriate destination volume then do the smart update then unmount the destination volume again.

For some reason SD has decided as soon as it loads that the HD2 volume should be mounted. (I assume it must have been the last time SD successfully ran).

What action can I take to make SD 'forget' about this destination volume HD2?
I think that is all that is wrong at this time.

dnanian 09-02-2005 10:43 AM

Just start SuperDuper! and choose a different destination, or -- even easier -- set things up for a disk image. Then, quit. It'll remember those settings, and should load fine.

braeside 09-02-2005 02:02 PM

Thanks Dave, that worked a treat, now all working 100%.
Great program!

dnanian 09-02-2005 03:59 PM

Great, and thanks! Glad you're liking it!