Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best process to replace internal hard drive using SuperDuper!? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687)

emikysa 10-05-2006 06:45 PM

Best process to replace internal hard drive using SuperDuper!?

Dave and SD! power users:

I have a PowerBook G4 running OSX 10.4.8 and SuperDuper! 2.1.3 and I want to replace my original 80GB internal hard drive with a new 160GB internal hard drive. I have an external FireWire drive with an 80GB partition for backups that I can use in the process. I reviewed previous posts on this topic and tried to outline all the steps I should take below. I would very much appreciate if you all would look the steps over and let me know if you think I should add, change or remove anything. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to SD! users who attempt hard drive upgrades in the future.

Steps:
- format external FW hard drive
- run utilities on both original internal drive and external FW drive (?)
- - Apple Hardware Test?
- - Diskwarrior?
- - TechToolPro?
- - Media Scanner from Intech?
- - Other?
- use SD! to make bootable copy of original internal drive onto external FW drive
- test boot from external FW drive
- shut down PowerBook
- replace original 80 GB internal hard drive with new 160 GB internal hard drive using instructions from ifixit.com
- boot to external FW drive
- now running PB off of external FW drive, format newly installed, blank 160GB internal hard drive using Apple Disk Utility
- rename new internal hard drive with name of old internal hard drive
- run disk utilities on new hard drive to ensure it is good (?)
- - Apple Hardware Test?
- - Diskwarrior?
- - TechToolPro?
- - Other?
- use SD! to make bootable copy of external FW drive onto new internal hard drive
- shut down PB
- disconnect firewire drive
- reboot from new internal drive
- test to make sure things work
- - best way to test??
- rename new internal drive to its own name
- - old drive was called PB80-MAIN-EM and new should be called PB160-MAIN-EM

Thank you,
Erik

dnanian 10-05-2006 07:35 PM

One thing, Erik. Name the external the *same* as the internal before you start up and test it. And, zero the drive when you erase it, making sure to partition it appropriately (as Apple Partition Map).

OK, so that's two things. :)

framal 11-02-2006 09:22 PM

I'm also thinking of replacing my 60 GB to a 160 GB for my PB G4.
So, Erik... How did it go? Did it work?
Why use all these utilities?

- - Apple Hardware Test?
- - Diskwarrior?
- - TechToolPro?
- - Other?

Thankx...

SBlumenthal 01-11-2007 02:41 AM

I'm about to do the same process. The external Firewire drive I've been using for back ups is named "Insider" and I'll want my new internal HD to be called "Macintosh HD". Does this mean I should rename the external drive to "Macintosh HD" as well?

Also, if that's the case, is there any danger in changing the name of the external drive that I have already been using as a daily SD! backup drive for a while?

When I'm finished with the internal HD replacement I'll want to go back to using my external as my daily SD! backup drive. Should I then change the name back to "Insider"?

And lastly is changing the name as simple as clicking on the name and changing it, as you would a folder or document, or is it a more involved process?

Thanks

dnanian 01-11-2007 08:05 AM

That's right, just rename the drive. I'd change it after you complete your copy, before you start up from it. Then, sure, change it back the same way.

SBlumenthal 01-11-2007 05:42 PM

OK, so I did the transfer, and for the most part everything went supersmooth. I'm now running on my newly restored internal hard drive. The only weird thing is now my iPhoto crashes almost instantly every time I open it. Any ideas as to why that would be happening?

dnanian 01-11-2007 05:50 PM

That seems weird. Where is it crashing?

SBlumenthal 01-11-2007 05:54 PM

Pretty much as soon as it opens. I barely get as far as clicking anywhere inside the program and it crashes.

dnanian 01-11-2007 05:57 PM

Sorry, should have been more specific. I mean its crash log -- could you send that to the support email address?

SBlumenthal 01-11-2007 06:09 PM

OK, sent...

Thanks

dnanian 01-11-2007 06:17 PM

Looking at the crash dump, FlickerExport is crashing. I'd try reinstalling it.

SBlumenthal 01-11-2007 08:00 PM

I couldn't really identify where it says that, but I'll take your word for it. I don't really use that Flickr export feature anyway, so I just deleted it. But still have the problem of iPhoto crashing.

I think what I'm going to do now is wait about 3 or 4 weeks to see if any other weird glitches occur on my new internal drive. If they do, I'll have bigger worries than a crashing iPhoto. If not, I'll figure out a way to get iPhoto running again (re-install it or something)

Does that sound like a smart practice?

Also, now that I've copied the data from my external to my new internal, and renamed my external back to "Insider" I want to get it back on my daily backup routine again. Can I just continue using the settings from when it was backing up my old hard drive? (both my ext. and int. hard drive names are identical again to the way they were). Or should I do a new full back up for some reason, being that it is a different drive?

dnanian 01-11-2007 08:49 PM

If you start up from the backup, does iPhoto run properly there? If iPhoto is still crashing, I'd need to see the crash log again...

SBlumenthal 01-12-2007 12:11 PM

I just booted from my external drive and ran iPhoto. It crashed instantly 3 times in a row. I'll send you my crash log.

Thanks

aplnub 01-13-2007 09:28 AM

I have had that problem before and running OnyX fixed my issues.

http://www.titanium.free.fr

It cleaned the caches out and bam, no more problems.