Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   how to I restore JUST user files and NOT the OS? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7330)

Dan Lester 03-30-2023 10:37 AM

how to I restore JUST user files and NOT the OS?

Because of some very weird problems involving system update, I needed (on advice from Apple Support), to erase my entire machine and reload the (updated) OS. That kinda sucks, but I did it, and things are now fixed. But now I want to know how to use my SuperDuper backups (of which I have several, actually) to restore EVERYTHING *except* the OS. How do I do that?

dnanian 03-30-2023 11:31 AM

You clean install the OS and then, when prompted to restore during first boot, select the backup. That brings in everything but the OS.

Dan Lester 03-30-2023 12:09 PM

I do a clean install of the updated OS, and the machine does an automatic restart when done. Then I'm asked to login. No "restore" options presented. I can boot to a Startup Options, and that offers me disks to boot to, but that's not going to do what I want. OK, looks to me like I need to use Migration Assistant.

dnanian 03-30-2023 12:16 PM

Then that's not a clean install - you have to erase the drive, then install. During first boot, like with a new Mac, you're asked if you want to copy from another Mac or restore - before creating accounts, and after language selection.

Dan Lester 03-30-2023 12:25 PM

Yes, I did erase the drive and do a clean install, but then, not knowing how to restore, I spent a little time moving stuff over manually. That wasn't satisfactory, and then I heard from you, so I did another clean install, but without erasing. That probably mucked things up. Can I presume that Migration Assistant, pointed at my backup disk, will do what I want? That's what's happening now. I can always go back to square one, do another erase and clean install, if that's what I need to do.

dnanian 03-30-2023 12:55 PM

You can try. Sometimes migration messes up permissions/UIDs.

Dan Lester 03-30-2023 01:01 PM

OK, it seems to have worked. Logging in as Administrator required a few diddles, but everything is fine now. Thank you very much. I was concerned that, to the extent SuperDuper allowed such migration, once you erased the disk, SuperDuper wasn't there anymore! But Apple provides. Thank god for backups.

dnanian 03-30-2023 01:10 PM

This is part of the reason our style of backups work so well - you can restore with us, you can restore with Apple tools... there are lots of backstops.

Dan Lester 03-30-2023 04:45 PM

That's an important point I now appreciate. With SuperDuper backups, you don't even need SuperDuper to do a restoration.

dnanian 03-30-2023 04:50 PM

Yep. We have no desire to lock you in at all. That's why we don't do anything "proprietary" at all. We don't make snapshots under a proprietary ID, nor do we play any sorts of games with formats, etc. We want to make sure you have options.