Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Perform multiple backups (non-scheduled) (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1198)

cpbrooks 04-01-2006 04:18 PM

Perform multiple backups (non-scheduled)

I have 4 scripts that I run when I perform a backup (1 for each partition I'm backing up, etc.). I'm wondering if there's a way that I can tell SuperDuper to batch run all 4 scripts without having to confirm each one (i.e., exactly as it runs when I schedule the backups). Sometimes you just want to back up everything right away and not have to wait for your regularly scheduled slot. Thanks!

dnanian 04-01-2006 04:30 PM

You could do it by writing an AppleScript -- are you comfortable with that kind of thing?

cpbrooks 04-01-2006 06:42 PM

I'm very much a beginner with AppleScript, but if I was told what to write I could get it going. But I would like to make this a feature request. I used to use Synk for backups and this kind of batch backup was what I used routinely.

dnanian 04-01-2006 06:57 PM

The easiest way to do this is going to be with a little shell script, actually. Assuming you have these four jobs scheduled, here's all you have to do.

First, open the Terminal application. Then, type:

Code:

crontab -l | pbcopy
(Copy and paste that line so you get it right.)

That'll put some stuff on your clipboard. Open Text Edit with a new file, and paste.

In there, you'll see a number of lines that look something like this:

Code:

30        21        *        *        1,2,3,4,5        open file:///Users/dnanian/Library/Application\%20Support/SuperDuper\%21/Scheduled\%20Copies/Smart\%20Update\%20test\%20from\%20Macintosh\%20HD.sdsp/Copy\%20Job.app
These are the parts of the crontab that schedule your backup.

At the top of the file add, on a line by itself:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
Then, remove any blank lines. Edit the start of each line to remove everything up to the "open" (leaving the open and what follows it).

Finally save the result to your desktop (for now), with an appropriate name (like "BackupNow").

Then, in terminal, enter (each line on its own line, followed by Return, substituting appropriately):

Code:

cd ~/Desktop
chmod +x "the-name-of-the-file-you-entered-before"

You're done!

Now, when you double-click that file, it'll automatically queue up all of those backups and they'll run, one after the other.

Hope that helps!

cpbrooks 04-08-2006 12:21 AM

Sorry I haven't replied yet--I've been very busy. But I will give this a shot at the next opportunity and let you know how it goes. And do think about a "batch script" that'd run like a single backup script for future releases (automating all this)--very helpful. Thanks again!

cpbrooks 05-11-2006 05:08 PM

Okay, finally got around to this, but I seem to be having a problem. I think the chmod command isn't doing it's thing. Here's what my desktop doc looks like:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
open file:///Users/cpbrooks/Library/Application\%20Support/SuperDuper\%21/Scheduled\%20Copies/Smart\%20Update\%20Backup\%20HOME\%20from\%20Legion.sdsp/Copy\%20Job.app
open file:///Users/cpbrooks/Library/Application\%20Support/SuperDuper\%21/Scheduled\%20Copies/Smart\%20Update\%20Backup\%20WORK\%20from\%20Work.sdsp/Copy\%20Job.app
open file:///Users/cpbrooks/Library/Application\%20Support/SuperDuper\%21/Scheduled\%20Copies/Smart\%20Update\%20Backup\%20JUDGE\%20from\%20The\%20Judge.sdsp/Copy\%20Job.app
open file:///Users/cpbrooks/Library/Application\%20Support/SuperDuper\%21/Scheduled\%20Copies/Smart\%20Update\%20work\%20Backup\%20from\%20Work.sdsp/Copy\%20Job.app

In terminal I type:

Code:

cd ~/Desktop

hit RETURN and type:

Code:

chmod +x "backupnow.txt"
I hit RETURN again and then the prompt goes to a new line, but clicking the doc just opens it in TextEdit. Any ideas?

dnanian 05-11-2006 05:32 PM

Rename the file to "backupnow.sh" in Terminal with:

mv backupnow.txt backupnow.sh

That should fix it.

cpbrooks 05-11-2006 07:06 PM

That didn't do it, but I did a search on Apple Discussions and found this info:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....77215&#1877215

I'm don't speaky the Unix, so I don't know chmod a+x from chmod +x, but I think changing to the .command extension did the trick. Thanks for your help.

dnanian 05-11-2006 07:58 PM

a+x says "change user,group and owner to executable", and +x does the same thing. I'm surprised at what Finder did, but I'm glad .command worked.