Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD backup of a Drobo to another one ? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6854)

Francois 01-19-2014 03:42 PM

SD backup of a Drobo to another one ?

I have 2 Drobo 5D, let us call them A and B. They show on the Mac desktop as 2 volumes each , "virtual" volumes since each represents the data stored in an array of HDD drives arranged in a kind of RAID.
Now A contains data and I want to use Super Duper to backup A data on Drobo B. The first backup should be "erase all files on B then copy".

There comes my question : Will SD erase only the data seen by OS X on the Drobo B volume ( as I believe it will), or is there a risk that the special Drobo software (which runs the Dobo system and is scattered on its 4 drives) be damaged (or erased too) ?

After the initial backup, there will be "smart" ones and there should be no problem there. I should be just like backing up one non bootable volume to another.

Thanks in advance for expert advice !

dnanian 01-19-2014 04:11 PM

The erase will be no different than a Disk Utility erase. As far as I am aware, Drobo doesn't store any kind of magical file on the regular disk volumes.

Francois 01-19-2014 04:37 PM

Thanks Dave.
It's my understanding that the Drobo software is not like a file , but much more like the nodes of a file system. Therefore the "virtual volume" of many terabytes seen on the desktop is just like an ordinary Mac volume. Then SD can be used safely to backup a Drobo to another one.

Just tell me if I am right.

dnanian 01-19-2014 05:51 PM

No, the "Drobo Software" is the firmware, basically. It emulates a large drive with a bunch of disks. It's more like RAID than anything else.

Anyway, as I said, it's basically no different than any other volume to Disk Utility's erase, and SuperDuper, too.

Francois 02-11-2014 08:09 AM

Backing up Drobos with SuperDuper

Thanks for your help, Dave.
I received my Mac Pro 6.1 one week ago and could at last experiment (there is allways some St Thomas in us).
I'm glad to report that SuperDuper did an excellent job with the 1,8 TB of data countained on the source Drobo. First it erased the target Drobo then copied all files to it. That was lengthy ( about 4 hours ). The second backup was made a few days later, after some 8 GB had been witten on the source Drobo. This smart update took exactly 2 minutes 51 seconds ! (TB connection, daisy chained).
During that short time, SD showed incredible copy speeds ( for ex. ~25000 MB/s) I wonder if they are real ? (I have TB 1 cables , Theoretical transfer speed : 10 Gb ).
Any way no problem here.
Thanks again
Francois

dnanian 02-11-2014 08:25 AM

That's why it's an "effective speed"...it includes the effect of Smart Update.