Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fails to mount encrypted DMG, instead selects parent disk as destination (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5844)

xochi 10-13-2009 11:46 AM

Fails to mount encrypted DMG, instead selects parent disk as destination

I have found what I think is a repeatable bug.

1. Connect an external drive that contains a DMG that you wish to backup to.
2. Launch SuperDuper 2.6.1
3. SD comes up with the "Can't find destination drive..." message
4. SD then auto-selects the parent drive as the destination volume.

If you then hit "Copy" you end up backing up your files along side the DMG, rather than to the DMG itself.

If you quit and relaunch SD, the 2nd launch it automatically mounts the DMG and then everything is fine.

I'm not sure what the issue is -- why does SD fail to mount the DMG on the first launch? Perhaps its a timing issue? In my case, the DMG is encrypted and my keychain is locked.

But clearly, choosing the wrong destination drive in the "to:" popup seems like a UI bug.

dnanian 10-13-2009 11:48 AM

Since the volume isn't available, if you click "Cancel", it just selects a drive. Have you tried opening the image at that point, rather than clicking Cancel?

xochi 10-13-2009 11:56 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've seen SD click the "cancel" button for me -- e.g. the dialog goes away by itself, just like it does when it auto-mounts a DMG.

If you are not paying close attention, then it's easy to think "ok, it found the DMG" and then if you click "copy" you get in trouble as it's not backing up where you expected. In my particular case, the names of my external drive and DMG are similar ("Backup200" and "MyBackup200.DMG" ) so I was easily confused.

I've since upgraded to 2.6.2, will report if it happens again.

I think, from a HIG/UI perspective, that auto-selecting a destination in the "to:" popup might be a bad idea, except in the case where the prior backup destination is available?

dnanian 10-13-2009 12:06 PM

There were obviously two choices here: select a drive or blank out the pop-up. We decided to select a drive for some reason, but I honestly don't remember why since it was many years ago...

sjk 10-13-2009 03:14 PM

Even with the "Remember source and destination volumes" preference disabled and using specific copy scripts there are still times (usually during testing) I've been bothered by the destination volume sometimes being inaccurately auto-selected.

dnanian 10-13-2009 03:16 PM

You'd have to provide me with a reproducible case, alas. We don't select anything at all if that preference is checked with default settings...

sjk 10-13-2009 03:43 PM

I remember it happening relatively recently during testing sparse bundle support for 2.6, always after opening a copy script (presumably when the "Remember …" preference is ignored). If/when it happens again in a reproducible way I'll describe the details.

xochi 10-13-2009 05:51 PM

I think in my case, it was probably caused by the following:

SD tries to mount a DMG file that was the prior target.
...waits a while... then times out
Sets the Target to whatever.

If you run it again, the 2nd time the DMG mounts (or mounts more quickly?) so that SD doesn't time out?