Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A "public beta" mount/unmount surprise for you. (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262)

Michael@wengam 05-08-2006 08:59 AM

As far as making the script work regardless of which disk I start up from, I am considering naming the backup disk's OSX partition with the same name as the normal startup partition. Then my login script could simply tell diskutil to unmount the OSX startup partition by name (in my case, OSX_silver). I think this should succeed in unmounting the backup partition but fail for the startup partition, shouldn't it? I already tried unmounting the startup partition, in Terminal, and it did indeed fail to unmount and seems unaffected, but I am wondering if there is any harm in doing that? I am also wondering how diskutil will react to the potentially ambiguous request: will it stop and wait for the disk choice to be be resolved?

I would try this out, but I am a bit confused about the ramifications of mounting simultaneous same-name partitions. I notice that you do sometimes recommend naming backup partitions the same as primary ones -- for example, to preserve paths and aliases. Have you written a summary note about the pros and cons -- or precautions -- of doing this anywhere?

dnanian 05-08-2006 09:04 AM

There's really no huge downside, since the system takes care of mounting them uniquely. The problem is it's going to be difficult to tell the two drives apart at script time.

The thing about naming the drives the same is that it's not important until you try to boot from the drive. So, you don't have to name it the same until you try to boot from it...

Jonathan Strait 05-08-2006 01:12 PM

Worked great with Lacie d2 triple extreme, small error

Terrific! Worked great! :D Now I don't have to concern myself with whether or not I remembered to remount volumes...

When checking SD! schedule and logs after doing test backup I did get an error on SD start up:
"SuperDuper! cannot find target volume "(null)". Please attach or mount the volume named "(null)". If you can't find this volume, or it was erased outside SuperDuper!, click Cancel."

Clicking "cancel" brings you to the SD panel with everything greyed out.

Don't remember having this problem before. Could view the schedule even with volumes unmounted (I think?) Anyway, not a problem since mounting the volumes again brings everything back to normal.

Thanks for this, J

dnanian 05-08-2006 01:14 PM

That error is pretty much expected -- you can prevent it using SuperDuper!'s preferences.

Thanks for the feedback!

benbean 05-15-2006 01:25 PM

Great!

Excellent. Works well on my Intel iMac with LaCie USB drive. It had been bothering me that the "Open With..." context menu had always fired up my sleeping drive and shown two of everything since I switched to a direct external backup, but now it doesn't with the backup drive unmounted.

Thanks Dave!

dnanian 05-15-2006 02:07 PM

Glad it worked well for you, benbean.

Gil 05-20-2006 09:11 AM

Mount/Unmount beta

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
Attached is a small preview from the next version of SuperDuper: a public beta of the new "schedule driver" that will automatically mount and unmount backup volumes without any manual intervention.
Enjoy, and let me know how it works for you.

Perfect! Exactly what I requested!

--Gil

dnanian 05-20-2006 09:29 AM

Great, Gil. It's in 2.1.1, so enjoy.