Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Thanks SuperDuper! (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6610)

ashleykaryl 02-14-2012 09:09 PM

Thanks SuperDuper!

Earlier today I received a new Mac sent as a replacement from Apple for my old one that had been problematic since day one. During the migration process I tried using Time Machine, which took over two hours and then I spent the next few hours troubleshooting one thing after another. On top of that I found the Firewall had been deactivated and the system had strangely gone back to 10.7.2

After quite a bit of frustration and the realisation this just wasn't working I tried the safety backup made to another SATA drive using SuperDuper! just before sending away the old Mac. After starting up from that drive and seeing everything was suddenly fine I then used SuperDuper! again to copy it all over to the main new drive and was back to work in no time. Based on this experience if I ever need to migrate like this in the future I'll stick with SuperDuper!

dnanian 02-14-2012 09:32 PM

Glad it worked well, Ashley!

ashleykaryl 02-14-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31425)
Glad it worked well, Ashley!

The only thing I found that didn't work immediately was DropBox which required that I put in the account details for some reason. Apart from that though it was a flawless process with SuperDuper!

The only reason I initially favoured Time Machine was that I was migrating to a newer model Mac with a different processor, so I thought Time Machine would be able to work out any issues but instead it had real problems.

ashleykaryl 02-17-2012 11:08 AM

I've actually had a couple of problems emerge since the migration that are a little perplexing. First of all FileVault became disabled, which I wasn't expecting, so I tried to enable it again and received a message saying the drive wasn't formatted properly for FileVault, though I hadn't formatted it and a quick look in system profiler shows it is the same as all my other drives:

Volumes:
disk0s1:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s1
Content: EFI
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 999.35 GB (999,345,127,424 bytes)
Available: 812.38 GB (812,378,566,656 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /
Content: Apple_HFS

Secondly it looks very much as though the recovery partition has been lost somehow. I can't boot from it and it doesn't show up in disk utility or start up options. Just reading about this now it looks like I may be able to fix this by downloading and installing Lion again from the App Store but since that partition existed previously on the main drive I'm wondering why it wasn't carried over by SuperDuper!

Does anybody have any thoughts on what is happening here?

dnanian 02-17-2012 11:13 AM

SuperDuper! only copies the partition you select. So, the recovery partition (which is separate, and hidden) wouldn't come over.

Reinstalling Lion over what you have is exactly what I'd suggest. It'll recreate the recovery partition and you'll be able to use FileVault, too.

ashleykaryl 02-17-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31436)
SuperDuper! only copies the partition you select. So, the recovery partition (which is separate, and hidden) wouldn't come over.

Reinstalling Lion over what you have is exactly what I'd suggest. It'll recreate the recovery partition and you'll be able to use FileVault, too.

Thanks that worked perfectly. It took a while because the download is so big for Lion and I wanted to ensure everything was backed up and working properly before I enabled FileVault but that is now progressing smoothly in the background and I was able to boot into recovery mode by pressing cmd + R at startup.

dnanian 02-17-2012 05:56 PM

Great! That's the idea...glad you're all set.