Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Notification of scheduled jobs (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4409)

JackPollack 08-05-2008 11:05 AM

Notification of scheduled jobs

I would like to get an email notification when a scheduled job completes/fails. Someone suggested using Growl. I installed Growl (1.1.4) and can get it to pop-up a window on these events, but when I set theme to MailMe I get the sound from that theme but no email message is sent (hitting the preview button also does nothing so I am going to post in the Growl forum as well).

Even if I could get Growl to work I hat wasting system resources just to have these messages sent and would probably prefer a shell script. I can probably write the email sending part (although I would love some sample code to get started), but how do I tell if the jobs succeeded/failed as Growl does (I dont want to email the entire log)?

Thanks

dnanian 08-05-2008 11:44 AM

You'd have to rework the scheduled job applescript, and that would only work for scheduled copies. I'd seriously suggest figuring out what's wrong with Growl's MailMe action instead: Growl does not use significant system resources and performs many useful functions...

JackPollack 08-05-2008 09:16 PM

Any thoughts on how to get Growl working? I posted in their forum but haven't gotten any responce yet.

dnanian 08-05-2008 09:22 PM

I don't know, because I don't know what could be wrong. Do you have Apple Mail configured with your account information? It might require that.

JackPollack 08-05-2008 09:43 PM

I do.

Hopefully someone from Growl will post back

maxglitz@mindsp 08-11-2008 09:38 AM

Non e-mail notification available?

This seems the best thread to ask if there's any other automatic notification that a backup has been accomplished or has failed other than the e-mail option asked about here. With automatic backups, I'll tend to forget to check it every week (in my case) and wouldn't want any surprises when a crash occurs later and I need to restore.

I'd love for this to be automatic, otherwise, I'll add a reminder to iCal to check the log.

dnanian 08-11-2008 10:34 AM

Growl really does work fine, is very configurable, and will do other types of notifications other than email.

maxglitz@mindsp 08-11-2008 11:31 AM

Thanks. But can you check that Growl link? I get "Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server., (etc.)" in both Safari and Firefox.

It's possibly something on their end because even when Googling the site, the link from a MacWorld site comes up the same. That would mean it isn't your problem, but a warning here couldn't hurt.

dnanian 08-11-2008 12:23 PM

The link is fine, but the Growl site seems to be down. I'm sure it'll be back.