Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to clear the log file? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083)

Peter Howlett 02-24-2006 03:43 AM

How to clear the log file?

Mine has got huge and brings the program to it's knees.

dnanian 02-24-2006 07:26 AM

What version of SuperDuper are you running, Peter?

v1.5.5 stores its log information in a single file which you can delete -- it's stored in Library/Logs/SuperDuper!.log, off your Home folder.

v2.x stores a single log entry per run, and automatically clears them, keeping 10 logs for each individual set of settings (or scheduled copy), so there should be no need to clear.

Either way, though, a large logfile shouldn't "bring the program to its knees"... are you sure this is what's going on?

DaleMeyn 02-24-2006 02:13 PM

Finding logs

I've had a related problem finding logs. I have scheduled updates of Mac HD to 2 external HD volumes: Backup & Spare, just to be paranoid. If I open Schedule, highlight one schedule, click Show Log, I see the most recent backup log for that one, same with the other schedule. If I close Schedule, and go to Window menu, click on Show log, I see the log for update prior to the one shown from Schedule. OK, that's interesting, shows there are at least 2 logs saved for each update script. However, I can't find where the logs are stored to look at logs further back in time. As suggested above, I looked in Home:Library:Logs, see 3 folders and 1 document, nothing related to SD!. So, I look in Mac HD:Library:Logs, and see 5 folders and 1 document, also no SD! logs. Where are they? Dale Meyn.

dnanian 02-24-2006 02:18 PM

If you have two schedules, each has its own log. Also, the "main window" -- which can be run manually -- has its own log.

The logs for a given set of settings are in a "Logs" folder inside the settings package. When you open a log, Command-click on the title bar. That'll show you the path for the current log file. Choose "Logs" from that, and it'll open in Finder, and you'll see the other logs for that "run".

ministry 10-16-2006 05:10 AM

Hi,

I'm searching for the log file. Can't find it. It is not lacated in ~/Library/Logs/SuperDuper!.log.
I user SD version 2.1.3 (v80)

Can anyone tell me where they are?

dnanian 10-16-2006 10:24 AM

Press Cmd+L in the main window and you'll get the log for regular runs. For scheduled copies, open the Scheduled Copies window, select the entry and click "Show Log".

ministry 10-16-2006 12:23 PM

Searching in the forum helps. :| Sorry about a very duplicate question.
Thnx for the answer!
Just for the statistics that maybe sometime in the future: still like logfiles separated from the app though :)

dnanian 10-16-2006 12:33 PM

They are separated from the app, Charlie -- they're in with the data... it's unlikely, though not impossible, that we'll be moving them into the Logs folder.

sdsl 10-16-2006 03:50 PM

Some folks seem perturbed because the path to the logs can be tricky in the finder with invisible folders in the chain. It's easy to handle this, however, by creating an alias for the Logs folder or simply putting it into the Dock, which I have done.

timlance 10-16-2006 07:00 PM

D'oh! And, D'oh! again.