Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Unable to install Bootcamp after re-clone of Snow Leopard (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5768)

bdwilson 09-21-2009 09:46 AM

Unable to install Bootcamp after re-clone of Snow Leopard

So, I started installing Boot Camp on my 10.6.1 Macbook and got the message that I had un-movable files and that Boot Camp could not re-partition my drive. So, what better way (free) to defrag than to restore from SuperDuper image right?

So, I booted from my FW drive, re-partitioned my Macbook drive (220G for OS X, 20G empty for BootCamp). I then re-cloned my drive from last nights backup.

Rebooted, all appeared OK. I did have to run: sudo update_dyld_shared_cache as iTerm was giving me issues and there were errors in the log.

Then I tried to install Bootcamp again, and didn't get as far as I got before the clone and received this error: Boot Camp assistant cannot be used. You must update your system software before using this setup assistant.

So I tried resetting my pram and re-installing 10.6.1 update, and still no luck. The fact that this worked prior to the clone makes me wonder if anything fishy happened when the hard drive was re-cloned.

Thanks,
Brian

dnanian 09-21-2009 09:47 AM

Did you properly partition as "GUID", Brian?

bdwilson 09-21-2009 10:30 AM

I did.

Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

dnanian 09-21-2009 11:36 AM

That's quite strange. Try reinstalling Snow Leopard on the drive: let's see if that fixes it. It might be that it's checking for the OS file compression.

bdwilson 09-21-2009 11:51 AM

Reinstalling as wiping the disk and starting over or reinstalling as putting the DVD in and installing over top of the current installation?

I was going to try the 2nd option first since snow leopard is supposed to handle this properly.

dnanian 09-21-2009 12:42 PM

Installing over the top of the current installation.

bdwilson 09-21-2009 02:45 PM

Reinstalling over top of the reimaged drive fixed the problem. So is this a Superduper issue?

Thanks,
Brian

dnanian 09-21-2009 02:52 PM

It's not clear because the error itself isn't terribly clear: it might be because the compression wasn't maintained (as explained in the blog and elsewhere in the forums). The next update fixes that, and will likely fix this too.

bdwilson 09-23-2009 07:06 PM

Of course reinstalling on top of the SuperDuper clone fixed that, but it broke other things that I'm now unable to fix... the main thing being my TimeMachine backup. It now things all the information is new and wants to fully re-backup the machine.

com.apple.backupd[320]: Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: blackbook

I've even done the magic to update the com.apple.backupd.SnapshotVolumeUUID information on the Time Machine volume, and no dice at all. Over a years worth of backups are now worthless :(

Any ways to get around this? My Time Machine volume is on a Airport Extreme Airdisk (sparsebundle).

dnanian 09-23-2009 07:13 PM

Not worthless, actually, no: you can still access them. You just have to start a new bundle, because you totally whacked and repartitioned your drive. This has nothing to do with an archive-and-install.

bdwilson 09-23-2009 07:18 PM

Ok, any idea when the next SuperDuper will be out? Since I have to start over with TimeMachine, I figure now is a good time to upgrade my drive... but if I cannot fully restore to the new drive with SuperDuper, then what are my options (beside restoring from Time Machine which is now out-of-date).

dnanian 09-23-2009 07:20 PM

The next update will be out when it's done, which I recognize is non-specific. But it's in external testing now.