Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   post boot-up from SD clone, icons quivering (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6915)

tuni 12-31-2014 01:49 PM

post boot-up from SD clone, icons quivering

After I boot up from my SD clone (latest version of SD, also Yosemite with all updates), the icons on my desktop are quivering/shaking. I am using a 1 year old MBPro13 w/retina. This is happening all the time after the SD boot up from the external hard drives. I have tried this on each external drive (Voyager/Icy Dock/LaCie) (the LaCie recently failed so have trashed that one, but it was happening on that too) that I have. I have used various hard drives in each of the docks. It happens all of the time. It appears all my applications and web sites are working as they should but the quivering/shaking is a big problem.

I am concerned that if I needed to use one of these clones as my fall-back, the quivering would prevent me from any meaningful productivity. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this and suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

dnanian 12-31-2014 02:06 PM

That sounds weird. What happens if you start up in safe boot?

tuni 01-01-2015 05:17 PM

haven't tried that. will try booting up in safe mode and see what happens. will let you know. But, if it does work that way, is that the way I would have to boot up if something happens to be MBPro? Doesn't sound like fun to me:rolleyes:

dnanian 01-01-2015 05:36 PM

No, just trying to figure out what might be going on here. I've never heard of icons "wiggling" on OS X, except in Launchpad (when you click and hold there)!

tuni 02-26-2015 02:41 PM

Dave,
My apologies for not relying to you sooner re. this issue - life sometimes just gets in the way, right? The problem of the jumping desktop icons upon reboot from the SD Clone continue.

I have now experimented with 2 different external hard drives, it happens with both. I have repaired/verified each drive. No apparent resolution as a result of this. I believe it has something to do with the SD program and "Finder" on my Mac. I cannot utilize Finder at all upon re-booting from the clone. Finder won't work.....and whatever application I have opened, just trying them out - finder reverts back to the last opened application. Anything on my dock that shows it is open, is what re-opens. Obviously, I would not be able to work from the SD Clone due to this problem. I did not try "safe Mode" as I wouldn't be using that as a work around if my MBPro failed.

You mentioned that you have not heard about this problem from anyone else???? I have no idea how to resolve this issue and am very concerned re. my ability to use the SD clones should I have the need.

Do you have any ideas as to the cause of the problem and how to fix it. Or should I re-install SD? (I imagine there's a way to do this?). I don't want to just give up on the program, its too important to me and my work. Thanks for your advice and possible remedies.

dnanian 02-26-2015 04:36 PM

What happens if you boot in "Safe Boot" from that drive (Shift from power on all the way to the desktop)?

tuni 02-26-2015 05:08 PM

just did the "safe boot" directly from the external drive w/SD clone - that works - no problem! So what does that mean? What should I do? I can't be starting in Safe Mode to do my work.....if/when something happens to my MBPro (running Yosemite by the way) and all updates are current. Thanks for the idea however now what?

dnanian 02-26-2015 05:22 PM

Now start up in regular mode. What happens? :-)

tuni 02-26-2015 05:40 PM

Dave,
Back to square one - desk top icons (not on dock - on the desk top itself) jumping. they go off and then they come back on - every few seconds. Also Finder is definitely not working. What ever I had opened most recently, comes back on if I try to access Finder. :-(

What to do?

dnanian 02-26-2015 05:51 PM

The problem is that something you have installed is preventing the system from properly prebinding. You can force it to, though.

Please open the Terminal application. Copy the following to the clipboard:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

Paste that into Terminal. Press Return at the end and, when prompted, enter your password (it'll be invisible) and press Return. When it's completed and the "%" prompt returns, quit Terminal and restart your Mac.

That should work...

tuni 02-26-2015 07:20 PM

dave,
did what you suggested. % sign/prompt never showed up so -I did quit terminal at the $ sign and rebooted using the SD drive clone. No change. Icons still jumping on desktop, Finder still not working.

Maybe I should have awaited % prompt? But I didn't see it, waited about 10 minutes, then shut down and rebooted as described above.

How long should it take for the % prompt in Terminal to appear? does it always? Did I shut down too soon? I can try again based upon your response to the % question.

thanks again....am totally frustrated :-(

dnanian 02-26-2015 07:36 PM

$ is fine as a prompt. (Depends on the system, on yours it's $.)

tuni 02-27-2015 10:05 AM

followed your instructions above to the letter - no change at all. even deleted a few apps I thought might impact. Nada! Finder still not working! Desktop apps still jumping.

At this point, my SD clones are not working for me at all. When I boot up from either of them, and they are all updated weekly, I can't work from the clone.
do you think re-installing SD might help. I think I have the license or purchase number somewhere....would that be possible? and, do you think it might help?

Otherwise, I'm totally stuck and miserable.....:co::(

dnanian 02-27-2015 10:13 AM

Are you sure you did this on the backup? The system where things are jumping? (I'm a bit hard to reach today, so please excuse any delays.) did you get any errors?

tuni 02-27-2015 10:32 AM

Dave,
of course, I didn't do this on the backup - I didn't know that was where it should be done - OMG - I didn't even think about where I should do it - I did it on my regular. So far so good - on the backup - its been a few minutes, Finder seems to be working, also no jumping....

Next question: I have at least 2 or maybe 3 SD clones - all exhibit the same bizarre behavior - do I do it on each and everyone of them? will I have to do this on each backup clone as I update the clones???? forever?????

Right now, doing a happy dance and awaiting your reply on the above questions re. procedures.

Many thanks for your response and help on this - sure do appreciate the customer service....
n