Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD! en Français ? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780)

Bluenose 11-02-2005 04:52 PM

SD! en Français ?

Hi,

I know a few people who would be happy to have SuperDuper! in French as it would make it easier from them to use it.

If you agree, please post your name, and country in this thread.

Thanks.

dnanian 11-02-2005 05:06 PM

At present, we need to do a significant amount of engineering before SuperDuper! is made available in any language other than English. The situation is complicated by the fact that the UI makes extensive use of language and dynamic substitution.

We're sorry for the frustration, but the basic facts surrounding the situation make this difficult, and we're not ready to go there, no matter how many requests we get here in the forum.

cortig 11-03-2005 10:51 AM

Soooo sad... As you know, you already have a string base of loyal French-speaking users ;) I know for a fact some of them have already started the job localizing everything that could be to be ready when the time comes.
A lot of Mac users live in countries where English is not spoken and many of them will simply stay away from software they don't understand. SD! is a *terrific* app and I really hope it'll be made localizable in the future. Thanks for considering our plea Dave :)

dnanian 11-03-2005 10:57 AM

I understand, of course. But we're not ready, and won't be for some time...

cortig 11-03-2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
I understand, of course. But we're not ready, and won't be for some time...

Yeah, I know... But it doesn't hurt to re-emphasize how much this issue is close to our heart... ;-)

dnanian 11-03-2005 06:01 PM

It's pretty unnecessary, actually! We know. Honest.

There are other issues at play here, too. When localized, it implies that support will also be available in that language. And while my High School French might get me from the airport to Val d'Isére, I'm quite unlikely to be able to give the level of assistance implied. The same goes for other languages like German and Japanese (just FYI, both of which are requested more often than French).

So, it's tough. We want to do this right when the time comes to do it... even if that means leaving some of the market on the table a little longer...

cortig 11-03-2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

When localized, it implies that support will also be available in that language.

Hum... that would be a first... 99.9% of the share/freeware I've seen that were localized in other languages only had support in English (unless there is a French developer behing the app actually)...
Try sending an support request for any of the OmniGroup software in French or German for instance...
Most of the time, there is simply a read-me mentioning that support is only in English. You can also add "In English only" on the command that redirects to support options. Really no one I know would automatically assume that because the app has been localised, you'll also get the support in your language.

dnanian 11-03-2005 06:40 PM

With a product that needs support, like this one, it seems disingenuous to localize when you're not going to help "localized", too, don't you think?

It seems that the UI is just a small part of what's necessary. And if support can be done in English, and that's OK, then it seems the UI -- which is relatively basic and uncomplicated -- would be OK too.

Anyway, just filling you in on the general considerations.

Bluenose 11-04-2005 04:56 AM

For some, the app and the docs would be enough

Hi David, Corentin,

I would be willing to act as a g-between, if need be.
(I already am.)

connyman 05-10-2006 05:22 AM

Quote:

....The same goes for other languages like German and Japanese (just FYI, both of which are requested more often than French)....

SuperDuper! in german, that was great :)

A majority of the German users would be to be translated certainly ready the software :)

harzack86 08-29-2006 06:41 PM

Update

I just purchased SuperDuper! and I'm loving it.
As this thread was started a while ago, and that some answers were indicating that some major work needed to be done before considering a localisation of SuperDuper!, I'd love to get an update on this project, knowing if it's still in the pipe of definitely fell off the plate.
What about a localised manual and UI at least? I'm sure the majority of the end-users would be satisfied with just this.

Anyway, any update on a French version would be apreciated.

Cheers.

dnanian 08-29-2006 11:13 PM

It's something we're still working on...