Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1st Backup Question!! (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257)

parlyle 03-08-2005 04:27 PM

1st Backup Question!!

I have 2 external hard drives from one of the Firewire Ports on my iMac flat panel 800mHz. The first one is a Phantom Titanium 250g and the other is a Phantom 160g. They are daisychained together with the 250 first and then the 160. I backed up my system to the 250 with no problem, but when I wanted to backup the system again to the 160, (which I want to be able to take on and off line, and use as a scratch disk) SuperDuper was not able to do it. I did a check, booting off of a DriveGenius Disk and I couldn't get it to even see the 160. What could be the problem?
Thanks for the quick response from anyone.
Lyle :confused:

dnanian 03-08-2005 04:34 PM

The 160 is likely formatted as FAT32, rather than HFS+. Use Disk Utility to erase it, using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format, and things should work fine.

parlyle 03-08-2005 08:36 PM

Thanks for the response!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
The 160 is likely formatted as FAT32, rather than HFS+. Use Disk Utility to erase it, using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format, and things should work fine.

I have had it with this hard drive. A while ago this drive crapped out on me. I had the files (iPhoto and iTunes files) rescued by the IT dept. at work, onto DVD's. Then I sent the drive back to Fantom and they said that all that they could do is reformat it and send it back to me. I checked it out and it is formatted for Mac Extended and journaled. I also erased it 3 times, when the drive stopped accepting information, after about 9 hours of running today and then 3 hours after work. I have tried for 3 days to get this thing working. I think that there must be something more wrong with it than just a reformat job. Is there anything that you may suggest that I could try to find out what and if more severe problems exist on this thing. All in all, I think that Superduper is the real answer to a lot of backup questions, and I thank you for the program. I will just have to wait to find out what my problems are and then use the SD again with the same confidence that I have now for the app. Thanks: Lyle :)

dnanian 03-08-2005 08:44 PM

Maybe I didn't quite understand -- you said that you Daisy Chained the drives, but you also indicated that you're using two FireWire ports. Do you have them *both* Daisy Chained AND plugged into the two ports?

I'd try simplifying the bus as much as possible. Don't daisy chain the drives if you can help it...

parlyle 03-08-2005 10:17 PM

Here goes...

Quote:

Maybe I didn't quite understand -- you said that you Daisy Chained the drives, but you also indicated that you're using two FireWire ports. Do you have them *both* Daisy Chained AND plugged into the two ports?

I'd try simplifying the bus as much as possible. Don't daisy chain the drives if you can help it...

No, I don't have the 2 drives plugged into the 2 ports. Only the 250 is plugged into 1 of the 2 ports, and the 160 is plugged into the 250. I'm sorry that I confused you. Your suggestion of using both ports is interesting. I haven't done this with 2 drives before, and wanted to have solid backup so I wouldn't loose any of my photos or tunes, like I almost did when the first drive went south. I am truly amazed at your following up on the emails. It sure is refreshing to actually recieve an answer to questions sooner than I have ever gotten from any forum before. Thank You!
Lyle

dnanian 03-08-2005 10:26 PM

My pleasure. Definitely try different ports -- let us know how it works out.

parlyle 03-09-2005 04:57 AM

Quote:

My pleasure. Definitely try different ports -- let us know how it works out.

I sure will. And thank you again!
Lyle ;)