Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   archiving photo files (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5798)

Scott Kathe 09-29-2009 08:56 AM

archiving photo files

My iMac is slowing down so I'd like to free up space on the hard drive by backing up my image files to two separate external hard drives. Can I use Super Duper to carry out this task? or is there something in OSX Disk Utility that I can use? Currently I have a 250 GB hard drive in my iMac, I have a 500 GB external that I have partitioned into two drives, one has the Super Duper backup and the other has the Time Machine archive. So, in addition to the present 500 GB external I will end up with two more external hard drives but I'd like an easy way to back up my images files so I can get the ones I'm done with off the hard drive so my applications will run faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

dnanian 09-29-2009 10:05 AM

The problem is that iPhoto, at least, uses an opaque "bundle" that's hard to manage this way. But what you might want to do is use iPhoto's "Export" option to export the photos you want to archive to their own "archive" volume, then delete them from iPhoto.

Make sure to keep your "archive" separate from your backup—and don't forget to back it up, too!

Scott Kathe 09-29-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27175)
The problem is that iPhoto, at least, uses an opaque "bundle" that's hard to manage this way. But what you might want to do is use iPhoto's "Export" option to export the photos you want to archive to their own "archive" volume, then delete them from iPhoto.

Make sure to keep your "archive" separate from your backup—and don't forget to back it up, too!

I have my images stored in a Pictures folder not an iPhoto Library-I'm not a fan of iPhoto.

Scott

dnanian 09-29-2009 10:17 AM

OK, but since you have to select what you want to archive, you'd likely do that with Finder, copy them to the 'archive' volume, etc.

Scott Kathe 09-29-2009 10:35 AM

Dave,

That wouldn't be too difficult to do if I keep up with the backup every time I make a change. I was just wondering if Super Duper could do the initial Picture file backup and then after I have worked on a bunch of files only backup the changes that had been made to the images in the file since the previous backup. If I didn't back up the images after I worked on them and forgot which images I worked on I'd have to backup the entire folder again.

Scott

dnanian 09-29-2009 10:37 AM

We do that, Scott: a Smart Update only backs up the changes. It's the "archive" -- moving things to a location and then deleting the originals -- I'm referring to.

Scott Kathe 09-29-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27180)
We do that, Scott: a Smart Update only backs up the changes. It's the "archive" -- moving things to a location and then deleting the originals -- I'm referring to.

OK that makes perfect sense. "Archive" first then do Smart Update. Thanks.

Scott