Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Leopard, SuperDuper, Scheduling, Sleeping (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3594)

mrpeepers 02-10-2008 12:13 PM

Leopard, SuperDuper, Scheduling, Sleeping

Does anyone else have the FULL/PAID version of SuperDuper and Schedule your backups?

If yes, if your computer is sleeping, and the SuperDuper job is scheduled, will the computer (iMac) wake to perform the backup?

I had mine scheduled last night, but my computer sleeps with 30 minutes of no activity, and I came back to the computer this morning and NO BACKUP Occurred!

Help!

Thoughts?

M

dnanian 02-10-2008 12:37 PM

No, it won't. See the User's Guide section on scheduling for a discussion and what to do...

mrpeepers 02-10-2008 04:19 PM

got it

thanks bro

edesignuk 02-11-2008 03:30 AM

I do exactly this. Use Schedule in Power prefs to wake the machine, then 5 mins after waking have SD set to run and sleep computer on completion.

Works perfectly too, except for last night when it appears not to have run at all :confused: Gotta look in to that.

dnanian 02-11-2008 09:40 AM

You should actually set the wake event for 1 minute before the scheduled copy time...

jgarbers 02-11-2008 09:56 AM

I don't remember having to do this before... I thought SD would wake the Mac up itself to do the backup. Am I remembering wrong (wouldn't be the first time for that) or is there something different in Leopard that keeps SD from being able to wake up the Mac?

dnanian 02-11-2008 10:48 AM

We never woke the Mac, Jeff...

jgarbers 02-11-2008 10:59 AM

Hm. Guess my machine wasn't actually sleeping, then... wonder why?

Guess that's the difference between a Mac and a PC. On a PC, things don't work, and you can't figure out why. On a Mac, things do work, and you can't figure out how... ;-)

denke 02-24-2008 02:18 AM

Why 1 minute, not 5?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 17372)
You should actually set the wake event for 1 minute before the scheduled copy time...

Is there a reason 1 minute is preferable to 5 minutes, aside from the tiny power savings?:confused:

dnanian 02-24-2008 03:44 PM

Yes. The Mac will often go back to sleep very quickly after a wake because it doesn't see any activity, despite longer "sleep times" set in Energy Saver. 1 minute allows us to get going before it sleeps.

davep 05-10-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 17949)
Yes. The Mac will often go back to sleep very quickly after a wake because it doesn't see any activity, despite longer "sleep times" set in Energy Saver. 1 minute allows us to get going before it sleeps.

Dave -- Please include this tidbit of info in the manual next time you revise it. Curious people want to know!

Thanks,

Dave P.

dnanian 05-10-2008 11:49 AM

It's been there, Dave. It says to schedule the wake event a minute before the backup...