Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Shutdown forced by UPS (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2972)

franconi 10-10-2007 04:26 AM

Shutdown forced by UPS

Hi,
The following seems a common scenario for may of us.
I have a UPS that forces a shutdown when the current goes off and the UPS battery is low. How does SD behave in this case, if this happens while SD is making the backup? Is the backup copy left in an incomplete but safe (i.e., readable) state, or is the copy screwed up? I am making the backup to a single disk image in a networked NAS disk.
What would be the best way to handle such case?
cheers
--e.

dnanian 10-10-2007 10:04 AM

Well... it really depends on how the UPS software does the shutdown. If it's a clean shutdown, everything should be safe but incomplete. If it's a "bad" shutdown, nearly anything could happen.

franconi 10-10-2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14577)
Well... it really depends on how the UPS software does the shutdown. If it's a clean shutdown, everything should be safe but incomplete. If it's a "bad" shutdown, nearly anything could happen.

Well... http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/i...lies/smile.gif
It is a typical Mac built-in forced shutdown: it does not depend on the UPS software, but it is the built-in UPS management software of MacOSX Tiger.
Since 10.4.9, Intel Macs (like mine) have a "shutdown -u" option (see man shutdown), that is actually used for UPS forced shutdowns (see the script /usr/libexec/upsshutdown).

So, given the above info, can you comment whether SD will leave the remote disk image safe (i.e., readable although incomplete) after an UPS shutdown?

cheers
--e.

dnanian 10-10-2007 11:03 AM

Give what that script does -- force a shutdown -- it's unlikely an image would be unmounted by Finder before power was removed (since it waits for a dirty close).

franconi 10-10-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14581)
Give what that script does -- force a shutdown -- it's unlikely an image would be unmounted by Finder before power was removed (since it waits for a dirty close).

Since we have the possibility to edit/personalise the script in /usr/libexec/upsshutdown, what would you do to manage the whole process properly from the SD point of view, before launching the final shutdown -h?

cheers
--e.

dnanian 10-10-2007 11:26 AM

Well, I'd probably try to kill SDCopy and unmount the image, if any.

franconi 10-10-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14583)
Well, I'd probably try to kill SDCopy and unmount the image, if any.

kill -9 ? Or a nicer way to kill :-) ?

dnanian 10-10-2007 11:34 AM

I think a normal kill'll do it, no need to force. Try a SIGTERM or SIGQUIT.

franconi 10-10-2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 14585)
I think a normal kill'll do it, no need to force. Try a SIGTERM or SIGQUIT.

Indeed! I did a kill -TERM $SDCopy.pid and I could re-mount the incomplete image!

Now, I guess that I should do the same for the fsck, and that at the end I could do a kill of the SuperDuper process itself (parent of both SDCopy and fsck).
Or would it work if I kill directly just SuperDuper?

cheers
--e.

dnanian 10-10-2007 12:11 PM

Well, the fsck is happening only during the mount (part of the OS), so the image wouldn't be mounted yet if that was running. I wouldn't kill SD! itself -- not really necessary.

franconi 10-10-2007 12:41 PM

Thanks.
So, now I have added the following to the upsshutdown script (before the shutdown):

killall -TERM SDCopy
hdiutil detach /Volumes/TheBackupDiskImage
hdiutil detach /Volumes/TheRemoteDisk

Ca you comment which is better between -TERM and -QUIT?

dnanian 10-10-2007 12:55 PM

-TERM should be fine; they're not really better.

franconi 10-10-2007 01:17 PM

Thanks for everything. You guys rock!
This is the final version of my addition to the upsshutdown script:

killall -TERM SDCopy
hdiutil detach /Volumes/TheBackupDiskImage
umount /Volumes/TheRemoteDisk