Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Backup internal HD + External HD (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5919)

Grant Simmie 11-01-2009 11:44 AM

Backup internal HD + External HD

I have a Mac Book Pro laptop (intel).

I will be keeping photograhs on the laptop internal and external (lacie, USB). I'll call it my "external data HD" for ease of reference.

I will be buying a new Lacie Firewire 800 External HD. I'll call it my "external backup HD" for ease of reference.

I want to:

- maintain a backup of the entire "internal HD" (Bootable)
- maintain a backup of the entire "external data HD"

With super duper can I set things up so that:

- the "internal HD" will be backed up automatically whenever I plug my "external backup HD" into the laptop".
- the "external data HD" will be backed up automatically whenever I plug the "external data HD" into the laptop (external backup HD already plugged in).

In practical terms I normally work from the pics that are stored on my internal but from time to time work on the pics on my "external data HD" so I only need to use it from time to time. I want to automate so I don't make and old guy mistake and backup the wrong hardrive.

Any sugge

dnanian 11-01-2009 11:47 AM

You can't auto-backup when a "source" volume is connected, only when a "destination" (backup) volume is...

Grant Simmie 11-01-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27759)
You can't auto-backup when a "source" volume is connected, only when a "destination" (backup) volume is...

Thanks for responding.

That clears up one thing for me anyway.

So what happens when

- I connect the backup drive and I only have the internal (laptop)
- I connect the backup drive when I have the internal and external data drive running?

Could I set it up so that when I connect the backup drive:

- it would back up only the internal when it is the only drive connected
- it would back up only the external when I'm running the Mac from the internal with the external data drive connected.

If the above is complicated doing it this way would work for me too.

External data hard drive not connected:
- the internal HD is automatically backed up whenever I connect the external back up

External data drive connected
- both the internal HD and external data HD are automatically backed up when the external backup drive is connected.

Thanks for your help.

dnanian 11-01-2009 05:21 PM

That depends on what you have set up, of course. If you tell SuperDuper! to run when a drive is connected, and it's referencing a missing source, you'll get an error when it tries to run.

You can't do what you're looking to do on connect without generating an error when something isn't present. Of course, you can ignore the error.

Grant Simmie 11-02-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27765)
That depends on what you have set up, of course. If you tell SuperDuper! to run when a drive is connected, and it's referencing a missing source, you'll get an error when it tries to run.

You can't do what you're looking to do on connect without generating an error when something isn't present. Of course, you can ignore the error.

I think I'm starting to understand. As you can see I'm completely new at this.

Presume that I set up the backup drive with 3 partitions:
A-for bootable backup of internal laptop drive
B-for external data HD backup
C-for other stuff manually copied

If I set up an automatic backup on connect would I need to select (mount?) a partition
before the backup would run ?

In other words would I select "A" partition to activate the external HD backup and "B" partition for the external data HD.

If this is the way it works it would be fine. I'm not trying to avoid a manual activation, I just want to make sure that I don't need to fill out option fields after the initial set up.

dnanian 11-02-2009 10:27 AM

No, you've already set up the source and destination volumes when you create the 'backup on mount' schedule.