Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD and TM backups - what goes first? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3646)

Moses3d 02-16-2008 02:41 PM

SD and TM backups - what goes first?

Hi all,

I've been reading the posts here as well as the FAQ and manual, and quite understand that both SD and TimeMachine backups can be stored on the same drive and on the same partition without doing any harm to each other. Nevertheless, I have a question which may seem weird, but, in my opinion, has some logics behind it. So the question is: say, I have a new HDD to be used for backups, but which of the two (SD or TM) to apply to the drive first? What I mean is that I would like to have a bootable SD backup, so my guess is that first I need to make the HDD bootable with SD (this making SD the FIRST thing to apply to the HDD, right?). And only after this (erasing the HDD with SD, then making a clone, then making the HDD bootable) I should turn TM on and save TM backups to the same partition. Is this the correct order? Or am I missing something? Because, as I see it, if I use TM first and then would like to use SD for a bootable clone, SD would erase everything first (together with TM backups).

And one more question: say, I have a 500Gb HDD to be used for backups. Do you think I should partition it (e.g.: 300Gb for a bootable SD clone of my iMac's internal HDD; 100Gb for TM backups of my iMac's HDD and 100Gb for a bootable SD clone of my MacBook's internal HDD)? Hence, BTW, another question: will it be possible to have TWO BOOTABLE partitions on the same HDD (one partition storing a bootable clone of Leopard on my iMac, another storing a bootable clone of Tiger on my MacBook).

Thank you so very much in advance!

dnanian 02-16-2008 04:06 PM

It doesn't matter which one goes first, actually. But make sure the drive is properly partitioned before you do anything... and if you haven't written to it yet, I'd actually suggest you partition it into multiple volumes, one for TM and one for SD!.

Moses3d 02-16-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 17635)
I'd actually suggest you partition it into multiple volumes, one for TM and one for SD!.

Thank you, Dave!

I take it, it's better to have two separate partitions devoted to different software solutions. Sounds logical.

Still one question remains (of course, I can try to do it myself, but this may take too long, so maybe someone has already tried it?): can I have TWO different but BOOTABLE partitions on the same drive? Like I said, one bootable Leopard clone of my iMac, another one being the bootable Tiger clone of my MacBook. So that in case something goes wrong with either of my Macs I could boot up from the same drive and not to have a separate HDD for each bootable one. Thanks.

dnanian 02-16-2008 04:27 PM

Sure, you can have as many partitions as you'd like, just use the right partition scheme (behind Options in the Partition tab) for your Mac.

Moses3d 02-16-2008 04:34 PM

Yes, I know of course that there can be any number of partitions, but the key issue here is whether I can have several of them BOOTABLE at the same time (not in the sense that I will boot from all of those bootable at the same time, but to have two bootable to choose from in each case). That's what I'm concerned about. Thanks

dnanian 02-16-2008 04:43 PM

I understood what you were asking, and yes, any number of them can be bootable.

huisking 02-16-2008 05:47 PM

Bootable Backup Discussion: 2 Macs with SD and TM

I have read the discussion to try to get a handle on the best scheme taking advantage of SD (for the bootable clone) and TM for the history of files (but not bootable).
I have
1. Brand new Macbook Pro (120gb HD)
2. Imac G5 (non intel) with Leopard (250gb HD).Leopard installed yesterday

I plan to partition two external HD's; one for the Macbook PRO and one for the IMac G5. Each external HD will have two partitions; one for the SD bootable clone and one for TM.

My question involves any suggestions on.
a. Partition sizing?
b. What partition scheme?

Thanks so much for any assistance.
Skip

dnanian 02-16-2008 05:53 PM

GID partition scheme for the Intel, Apple Partition Map for the G5. One partition the size of the original drive for SD!, the rest for TM.

huisking 02-16-2008 05:57 PM

Thanks Dave

You be the man...... thanks a lot.....
Skip

TMay 02-17-2008 12:22 AM

Moses3d

Noting Dave and Skip's exchange, your iMac is also Intel, right?

huisking 02-17-2008 07:34 AM

Skip's Computers: MacBookPro (Intel) and Imac G5 (non intel)

Dear Moses 3d.
My laptop (macbook pro with intel) and Imac G5 (non intel) are now backed up each with superduper AND time machine. I take this route to have a bootable clone (super duper) of each while at the same time have an historical viewing of changes etc. (time machine). Dave told me to use the GUID scheme for the Macbook Pro (intel based) and the apple partition for the G5 (non-intel).
Does this answer your question ok.
By the way, your original question and responses really helped me better communicate my issue and questions. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Skip

Moses3d 02-17-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMay (Post 17657)
Moses3d

Noting Dave and Skip's exchange, your iMac is also Intel, right?

Yes, TMay, both of my Macs are Intels.

2Dave

Thank you, Dave, I really appreciate your involvement and assistance! And of course, the product (SD!) :)

2Skip
Glad that my weird questions could help you form yours :)
As for your partition scheme, I guess I will stick to it as well. Looks very nicely devised, IMO. The only difference in my layout will be that I will have two SD partitions and one TM partition (one SD part. for my iMac and the other will be for MacBook) - I've already described it several times :)

And thanks to everyone who cared to read and write to this thread!

TMay 02-17-2008 04:00 PM

Moses3d

OK, only asked since if one machine were Intel and one PPC, then you CANNOT have both bootable partitions on the same physical hard drive, since one needs the GUID and one needs APM (like with Skip's machines.) Not your case, and I mention here only for others who may be reading.

rdzman 02-19-2008 01:16 PM

Don't think that's the case. If you need to boot both PPC and Intel from the same drive, use APM. I know set up an APM drive on a PPC machine, cloned the Leopard Install DVD (which is Universal) to one of the partitions, and was able to boot both PPC and Intel machines from it. I seem to remember something about having to create the original partitions using a PPC machine.

I think the issue is that Intel machines will create GUID by default, which cannot be made to boot on a PPC. APM works on both.

dnanian 02-19-2008 01:53 PM

Leopard is much crankier about using APM for Intel Macs...