Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD, Spotlight and Leopard (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3208)

XM Rules 11-24-2007 02:57 PM

SD, Spotlight and Leopard

I am new to SD and think it's great. I upgraded to Leopard and have two externals -- one for Time Machine and one for an SD backup. I have both drives listed as private in Spotlight preferences to that they are not indexed. The problem is the SD external keeps disappearing from the privacy list in Spotlight. Could this be an SD problem that will hopefully be corrected when SD is fully Leopard compatible?

Thanks...

dnanian 11-24-2007 03:47 PM

It does this when you don't encounter any errors?

mikebore 11-25-2007 01:35 AM

Just a quick check whether you realise something. Apologies in advance if you do.

I have a similar set up to you. The externals will only appear in the Spotlight privacy list WHILE THEY ARE CONNECTED AND MOUNTED. You don't have to re-add them when mounting, if they were previously added, then when you mount them they will show up in the privacy list. Time machine works the same way.

Mike

Rubes 11-25-2007 02:46 AM

I'm having the same issue (Leopard 10.5.1 and SuperDuper 2.1.4). I have an extra internal HD with two partitions: one for Time Machine, and one for SuperDuper. I have SD scheduled to clone my main internal drive every night.

I put both of these partitions in the "privacy" list in Spotlight to prevent indexing. However, every time I start up my computer, the SD clone partition no longer appears in the Spotlight privacy list, and Spotlight proceeds to start indexing it. I have to manually add it back to the privacy list to stop indexing.

The Time Machine partition always stays in the Spotlight privacy list, however.

I receive no errors during backups. However, at the end of the backup process, SD restores the Spotlight search indexing state on the clone partition, and I'm wondering if it's just not doing that correctly -- causing it to disappear from the Spotlight privacy list.

jgarbers 12-04-2007 08:18 AM

I've got the same issue here. "Leopard SD Backup" is my SD backup volume, and I had added it to the Privacy tab. After I restarted my iMac, I noticed the little "busy dot" in Spotlight's icon and when I clicked it, "Leopard SD Backup" was being indexed. Checked the Privacy tab and "Leopard SD Backup" wasn't in the list. I added it to the list again and indexing stopped, but of course I'd rather not do that at every boot. Any way I can help troubleshoot this?

dnanian 12-04-2007 10:10 AM

Guys, wait until the Leopard version is out, OK? That should resolve these problems.

Rubes 12-05-2007 08:03 PM

Sure, no problem. Just thought I'd point it out to make sure it was a known issue.