Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ASR failure (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6382)

has55 02-04-2011 09:53 AM

ASR failure

I just completed a manual backup of my internal drive to my external drive, but SD reports " failed to create an ASR image of Media Store 2". is the ASR image and what I see in the advance section the same-" after copy, Create a disk image of Media store 2." The destination volume is pointed to the SD 'saved setting folder' on my internal. I also see this info at the end of my log:"10:43:31 AM | Error | Volume Media Store 2 on disk6 failed to unmount
"
This is a RAID Ext HD.

I see the files on the RAID ext Drive

How do I resolve this problem?

I'm new at this backup system, but I read enough of many forum that I should do it. SD was usually the recommended program. I just start using it, even thought I had it for a while. Is the ASR file what I boot up from if needed.?

If so should it be store on my internal drive that SD recommends- ~/library/application support/SD/SAVED?
I have leopard 10.6.6

Thanks for the info on how to disable spotlight from indexing Ext. HD

Austin

dnanian 02-04-2011 10:02 AM

You shouldn't be creating an ASR image at all, in most cases. Uncheck that option in the advanced tab of Options.

has55 02-04-2011 11:16 AM

Ok done. i I unchecked " after copy - create a disk image of media store 2". Should I uncheck " during copy-" copy ACLs from FullnessA"( internal HD)?

But what do I need for the bootable image, which I thought happen when I backup/ I see the files on the mirror drive, but I don't see haw I would boot up from them, drag and drop to internal, but I don't see a boot up file.

dnanian 02-04-2011 11:20 AM

That's what the destination volume is. You select it in the startup disk preference pane. The secondary "copy" is unnecessary (and its purpose is explained in the User's Guide).

has55 02-04-2011 11:40 AM

ok went back to user guide. It seem that in option-'general'- I need to select after completion of backup-"Set Sandbox as startup disk sets the destination as the startup volume but does not restart the computer.
Is this correct for getting a bootable drive?

in the advance option tab titled" during copy", my radio button is already selected saying" copy ACLS from FullnessA" I read my user guide and find no info on this section. It seem to skip it. what should I do.

dnanian 02-04-2011 11:44 AM

If you want a bootable backup, you should be using "Backup - all files" with "Smart Update" or "erase, then copy". The "ACL" option (which is not mentioned in the documentation) should be checked, but no other advanced option should be.

Use "Do nothing" as the "after copy" option. Then manually set the drive as the startup disk in the startup disk preference pane.

Note, too: the drive must be properly partitioned. See Help > Frequently Asked Questions, top question.

has55 02-04-2011 12:02 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. I have did everything as you recommended, except I don't understand why I would "Then manually set the drive as the startup disk in the startup disk preference pane." I only want to use the disk for startup if the internal drive has trouble. If I do this won't my internal drive be ignore at start up?
Thank you for your patience for the lay person.

dnanian 02-04-2011 12:11 PM

If you want to try starting up from it, that's what you'll do. But it sounds like you may have done it by mistake already (with your after-copy action selection), so please ensure that your normal drive is set as the setup drive in the startup disk preference pane.

has55 02-04-2011 12:12 PM

the drive is partition as a 2TB drive for RAID by disk utility. formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

has55 02-04-2011 12:28 PM

only FullnessA( internal drive) is selected in system preference. I believe I understand your earlier reply this time. You're saying if I need to use the external drive as a startup, go to system preference, select startup disk, then chose the ext HD to bootup from. Is this correct?

I'm going to do a backup with smartup date now or do I need to start over to make the first bootable backup using "smartup Media Store 2 from fullnessA." selection under the " during copy section.

dnanian 02-04-2011 12:30 PM

Correct. You need to update the backup you made because you didn't make a backup at all. You made a Sandbox. See the first four sections of the User's Guide...

has55 02-04-2011 04:34 PM

Ok went back a re-read again. Thank you. I went back into system preference→start up disk and saw my orange colored USB drive listed as a startup disk. This is what I saw:

Mac OS X,10.6.6 on FullnessA

Mac OS X,10.6.6 on Media Store 2

network startup ( it had a HD with a ? on top of it)

It appeared that I did not allow everything to load up when I look the first time. This is not a sandbox correct?

Do I need to do anything besides scheduled routine backup with smart update?

dnanian 02-04-2011 04:36 PM

There's no way to know if this is a Sandbox from the startup disk preference pane. You need to run a "Backup - all files"...

has55 02-04-2011 04:47 PM

I did choose "back all files" and smartupdate the first time. I didn't know where to look for the startup image, thus my question, which started with the ASR failure question ( because it was red when SD finish). I thought the startup image would be on the external drive, not in system preference as you explained later. When I choose the ASR selection, did that make it into a sandbox. ( I try understanding the sandbox option, but it went over my head, even though you wrote in in a simple, layman term).

Should I just start over for safety with this new info?

dnanian 02-04-2011 11:00 PM

No, if you used "Backup - all files" with "Erase then copy" or "Smart Update" you should be fine.