Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Very slow Speed (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991)

pasha 01-08-2007 06:08 AM

Very slow Speed

Hi,

I'm testing SuperDuper! on my MacBook.
It works fine (I have a Boot Clone working now),
but it took about 2 hours to backup 35 GB Internal HDD!
The speed indicator on SuperDuper was around 3 to 6 MB/Sec during
the whole process.
Is this the Real speed of the process or it's because I'm using the freeware/Trial Version?

- Best
- Pasha:confused:

dnanian 01-08-2007 07:48 AM

The speed of your copy is entirely based on how fast your Mac will let us copy. If you're running things that interfere with the copy -- AntiVirus, etc -- then copy will go slower. If you're using a USB external drive, slower still.

The registered version will let you use Smart Update which will go much faster once a full copy is complete.

pasha 01-08-2007 09:06 AM

I was running no Antivirus and the MacBook was left idle.
I was using a LACIE USB 2.0 drive, capable of 1GB/min during writings. That is about 5 times the speed SuperDuper copies to it.
However I did not disable SpotLight for the external drive.
Can this cause problems and slowness?
Leaving the MacBook idle, how much can I expect from a FW drive? I mean from 4 MB/sec to 30 MB/sec or from 4 MB/sec to 6 MB/sec?
Is this because I was doing a clone and not an image?

Sorry for all the questions but its all new to me.

- Best
- Pasha

dnanian 01-08-2007 09:11 AM

Theoretical speeds (1GB/min) and "real" speeds are entirely different things, Pasha. A streaming speed is also going to be faster than the "over three hundred thousand tiny files and their metadata" case that you're doing with SuperDuper. So, no -- this is the speed you're going to get with this drive on this Mac. We're going as fast as we can get it to go.

On a typical Intel Mac, on a full backup, a USB drive will go about 4-8MB/s overall. A FireWire drive will go about 8-12MB/s. On a smart update, it'll go a lot faster, of course.

pasha 01-08-2007 09:44 AM

Hi Dave, thank you for fast reply!
So it seems a FW can give a speed punch but won't be a revolution...
Probably one thing is copying my data @ 1GB/min (eg, documents, files) and another thing is copying all the relevant metadata needed to create a bootable clone. I've never made a bootable clone when the OS was live.
My experience has been in the Windows world with Norton Ghost 2003, that works off a different bootable media, so it's not comparable, you're doing a clever thing. I can browse the Internet if I need to and write some docs while creating a Bootable clone, that's cool.
I was worried it might have been because of spotlight or my partition were made with Journaling on, but I think it's because the way the file system is made. Can SuperDuper act the 'Ghost' way? As is to say, boot from another media (like MacBook's DVD) and then run it to create an image from the internal disk? How to I create an Image the SuperDuper way (not a bootable image, only an image) ? Will SuperDuper be faster that way?

- Best
- Pasha

dnanian 01-08-2007 09:48 AM

No, we can't do that - we always copy file-by-file. But, again, Smart Update will be much faster.

pasha 01-08-2007 09:56 AM

Thank you!

I'll test an image this evening.

- Best
- Pasha

dnanian 01-08-2007 12:04 PM

An image is not going to be faster, Pasha -- in fact, it's going to be slower...

deprimer 02-01-2007 10:55 PM

extremely slow as well..

i just bought a Western Digital MyBook, plugged it into my 2GHz MacBook Pro with the handy Firewire cable and started the cloning process. I have no applications open (except Camino which I'm using to write this).

The maximum speed I'm seeing is 1.32MB/s. That doesn't sound at all like Firewire speeds.

Could this be because I'm not using the registered version or is this typical?

dnanian 02-01-2007 11:26 PM

Well, certainly Smart Update is faster once a full backup is done, but wait until the whole thing is completed and look at the overall speed...