Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SuperDuper does not copy from my internal to my external harddisk... (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527)

as.contact 07-10-2005 06:45 AM

SuperDuper does not copy from my internal to my external harddisk...

I am having a problem when I want to copy from my internal harddisk to my external harddisk (want to make a backup - who doesn't.....).

I am running on my computer OS X 10.4.1., have a G4, 1,25ghz & 1,25 of RAM, and SuperDuper! 1.5.5 (I haven't registered YET...).

When initiating a copy session (pressing "Start Copying"), I get a message after 10/20 seconds that says "An error occurred while Verifying that permissions are enabled for "(my internal harddisk name)". After this message the initiated copy process stops. So: no backups for me at this time. This worries me.

I can't find a way to fix it. Tried about everything (deleted SuperDuper prefs, restored permissions, installed a fresh copy of SuperDuper! etc.)

So the result is: I can not make a backup anymore!

Alexander

dnanian 07-10-2005 08:14 AM

The problem, Alexander, is covered in this FAQ entry:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318

Hope that helps!

Butch 07-16-2005 04:13 PM

This is my first post and a potential user of SD as soon as a firewire cable for an external hard drive arrives.
After scanning over this forum, I read one post that asked if everything was Ok with SD and 10.4.2.
The answer was yes and now I read that there is a bug with 10.4.1 and that Terminal needs another line added.
I don't do Terminal, it is too intimidating.
So, is 10.4.2 ready to go without a Terminal intervention or does it need a correction in Terminal for SD to work also?

dnanian 07-16-2005 04:19 PM

This correction fixes a bug in Tiger, Butch. Although we reported the problem to Apple some time ago, it hasn't yet been fixed, so that one line -- which can be copy/pasted -- needs to be run in Terminal.

It's really not hard to copy/paste it in (and enter your password), and you can't really make a mistake if you don't do anything else... it's as gentle an introduction to Terminal -- which can be VERY useful -- as any!

Butch 07-16-2005 04:30 PM

OK Dave, if you say so.

But, before I dig into that I'll have to dig into some manuals to make double sure that I don't make things worse.

I haven't upgraded from 10.3.9 yet, and won't until I have a back-up.
After all the components of the SimpleTech are here I can back-up, upgrade to Tiger, do the combo update to 10.4.2, check that everything works and live happily ever after.
Then add the Terminal line to be prepared for the Smart Update.
I think this sounds right.

dnanian 07-16-2005 04:39 PM

As long as you do the backup before you upgrade to Tiger, you should be OK. Note, though, that I'm not certainly the Simple Tech drive is bootable under OSX. Are you sure it is? (Manufacturers will often use "compatible" pretty loosely...)

Note, also, that it's likely the external drive will come formatted for Windows, so be sure to use Disk Utility to erase it, using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.

I'm not sure a manual is going to explain the command I gave, let alone with the file I specify does. Basically, all the command does is erase a single file from the drive. Since it's a "system" file, you need to "authenticate" as a privileged user before you can erase it -- that's what the "sudo" part does. (It's just like typing in your password when you install an update or application.)

The file you're removing is a very simple file that keeps track of what external volumes have ownership on/off. The one shipped with Tiger, though, is in a format that's incompatible with the application that manages it. By erasing it, that application can put a new one in its place, which resolves the problem.

Hope that helps rather than confusing you more!

Butch 07-16-2005 05:17 PM

Ah, Geez Dave

Now you really got me nervous. I can't find anything on the hard drive box or installation instructions about being bootable under OS X.

I know nothing about this stuff, learning as I go just as I did 20 years ago when my typesetting job went from hot metal to desk-top publishing.

The SimpleTech instructions are for Windows, Mac OS 9 and OS X. But the word "bootable" is not there. I just assumed that it would do what I needed and didn't realize that maybe it wouldn't be bootable.
Instructions for formatting are included. Yippee.

Actually, I didn't think any manual would explain your command line, but I did need to find details about accessing, using and closing Terminal. I have numerous help books, one of them has to explain Terminal. Never needed it before.

Sorry to be so anal, but this is not second nature to me.

dnanian 07-16-2005 05:26 PM

No problem at all. I don't want you to be nervous!

I'm guessing that the Simple Tech drive isn't going to be bootable... that doesn't mean it won't be useful, it just means you won't be able to boot directly from your backup if the time comes to do that for emergency use. Instead, you'd have to use an alternate method, as described in section 12 of the User's Guide.

If you haven't opened it yet, I'd actually suggest exchanging it for a LaCie, OWC or WiebeTech drive...

The Terminal itself I'm sure is covered in the manual you're viewing. Just not this specific command combination! :)

Butch 07-16-2005 06:46 PM

Too late, opened it already. Haven't used it yet though.

Section 12 deals with Automating Execution.

It looks like returning this SimpeDrive Deluxe USB2.0 & FireWire External Hard Drive will be easier, for me, than dealing with Apple scripts, Cron and automation.

Thanks for your assistance, I'll be back when I find the right hard drive.

dnanian 07-16-2005 07:07 PM

Butch:

Another alternative to using Cron is to use iCal. So, copy in the Daily Backup application as described, and save your settings. Then:

- Use iCal to create an event for the time (and repeat frequency) you want your backup
- Set an alarm, on that event, for 0 minutes before the time. For its action, tell it to open a file, and choose the "Daily Backup" application you copied in

That's it!