Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD Constantly Hanging (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1728)

eenu 10-22-2006 10:27 AM

SD Constantly Hanging

I have found that SD is getting stuck for hrs on a file vault i have:

SDCopy 9768 root 23r REG 14,2 32241864704 825708 /Users/davidmoore/Documents/Documents.sparseimage
SDCopy 9768 root 24u REG 14,5 32241864704 316551 /Volumes/Iomega HDD/Users/davidmoore/Documents/Documents.sparseimage

It's not mounted at the time of copying and it doesn't prevent the copy happening it just severly hinders it.....any ideas?

Also Smart Update is updating 30GB odd out of 90GB......and backup is happening every other day. I only surf the web etc at the moment so 30GB worth of data can't have changed......any ideas?

dnanian 10-22-2006 10:31 AM

Sure. If this sparse image changes, it'll copy 30GB of data, since that's how big it is...

eenu 10-22-2006 10:43 AM

I've not accessed the image in weeks. It's copying it everytime then...

Why is it copying it if i haven't used it?

dnanian 10-22-2006 10:44 AM

What are the creation, modification, etc dates on the sparse image file (in Finder - using Get Info)?

eenu 10-22-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 9011)
What are the creation, modification, etc dates on the sparse image file (in Finder - using Get Info)?

Created: Monday 9th October 2006

Modified: Today at 02:35

Last Opened: Today at 02:31

But as i already said i haven't mounted it in weeks....in fact since the 9th. So its SD that has modified and opened it....

dnanian 10-22-2006 11:37 AM

SuperDuper! does not modify and open files unless they're the destination of a backup. Is this perhaps the target of a scheduled backup that runs at about 2:30am?

eenu 10-22-2006 11:44 AM

this is PM not AM - sorry i wrote it wrong and this is the same time i ran the SD backup that i posted those log lines from!

And before Oct 9th the Smart Update took mere minutes it now takes hrs!

dnanian 10-22-2006 11:53 AM

I understand, but that's because the data is being changed. We're really not doing it: we don't even know what the files we're copying are!

What was going on at 2:30pm today (you must be in a different time zone, of course, since it's only 11am now)? Something *must* have mounted it, otherwise it wouldn't be listed as opened and modified... and we definitely don't unless -- as I said -- this is something that's had its internals backed up or written to by us.

eenu 10-22-2006 12:04 PM

I'm in the UK

Seriously it can't be mounted unless i go to the file and open it with a password. I sat here whilst this backup at 2:30 was going ahead and it never mounted and nothing was running and the machine wasn't touched.

Like i say before i created the vault the backup was swift now it takes hrs. If nothing else the fact its backing this thing up all the time should not be occuring.

I swear on my life nothing on my machine is opening that vault - it can't without me typing a password which i haven't done since it was created. So it is impossible for SD! to do anything to it also.....yet its modified and open times are that of the backup :confused:

dnanian 10-22-2006 12:06 PM

I don't know what to say. If you can't open it without the password, we can't either. Yet it says that it was opened and modified.

We really do not make arbitrary changes to source files. If we did that, every file on your system would change every time we made a copy... and that just does not happen...

I don't know what to suggest, though. The file's being modified somehow, and if things have suddenly "changed" since it used to run more quickly, and SD! hasn't changed, there must be something else going on that's doing this...