Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Right utility for me? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466)

uncommon crow 06-20-2005 01:46 PM

Right utility for me?

Hi, Dave. Lovely day we're having here in MA...

I've been reading great things about you and SuperDuper!, but before I plunk down my registration dollars, I wanted to make sure yours was the right software for my needs.

I've got an ancient but serviceable B&W G3 running 10.2.8. Of course, this first-gen machine isn't FireWire bootable, but I've got a new external 60GB FW drive in an OWC enclosure that I want to use for backups. So, a few questions:

(1) When I create a clone, will it be bootable on another machine (say, my neighbor's G5) in an emergency? The purchase of a second (much newer) Mac is pending in our household; will the clone be bootable on that machine? Could I copy the clone to a partition on a second machine and boot from that? And will all my user data be included in the clone (I need this full-system portability)?

(2) Beyond its cloning capacity, can I also use SuperDuper! to simply make copies of my user data -- docs, preferences, e-mail, calendars, etc.? These copies would go to a separate partition on the external FW. I know there's no automatic scheduling with SD! -- yet -- but I'm willing to initiate these backups manually at day's end. Would/Can these copies be incremental? Or do I have to start from scratch each time?

Please forgive me if my questions seem like I don't know what I'm talking about; I'm no power user, for sure, and I'm trying to formulate a sensible backup plan.

Thanks in advance.

dnanian 06-20-2005 01:51 PM

Hi, Mr. Crow. It is rather nice here today! I'm trying not to get too used to it, because -- as you well know -- these blissful days will soon yield to something not nearly as agreeable...

Anyway, let's go over your questions:

1. Your 10.2.8 clone will definitely not work on anything with a G5 in it. It's not because of SuperDuper!, though: you just can't use Jaguar to boot anything very recent.

But, all the data is there. As long as you're working on a version of the OS that is supported on all the machines involved, and you're using "Backup - all files", you can move the clone around.

2. Yes. You would use the "Backup - user files" script to do that. And, yes, they can use Smart Update to update intelligently, just like any other backup.

Hope that helps to make things clear(er)!

uncommon crow 06-20-2005 02:31 PM

I try not to think too much about the Massachusetts summer. It makes me grateful that I've got AC this year.

Your explanation made things almost crystal clear. One more question WRT Part 1: the inability of Jag to boot a G5 is a hardware/software (OS) incompatability, I'm guessing? But I'd be able to boot, say, another G3 or a G4, correct (per your "supported machines" comment)?

I have to say, Dave, you're a rare person to find in business these days -- someone who cares both about the quality of his product and about his customers' satisfaction. No caveat emptor here. I'm glad to give you my business.

dnanian 06-20-2005 02:41 PM

Right, it's an issue of whether or not the OS supports the hardware. In general, if the version of the OS was released before the hardware shipped, it's not going to be bootable. If it was released at the same time or later, it should work.

Thanks for the compliments!