Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Did anyone get a DroboShare to work reliably? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6132)

jrychter 03-16-2010 03:58 PM

Did anyone get a DroboShare to work reliably?

I'm having so many problems with DroboShare that I thought I'd ask.

After extensive googling I found lots of "it would be cool to backup to a droboshare" theoretical posts, but no actual experiences of people doing it everyday. Given the number and range of issues I'm seeing with the DroboShare, the thing is an unreliable piece of junk and simply cannot be used for anything serious. I even pestered Dave with support e-mails before I understood that it is really the Droboshare that is at fault.

So — does anybody back up to disk images (or bundles) located on a DroboShare, using SuperDuper? And if so, how did you manage to do it?

dnanian 03-16-2010 06:43 PM

There are definitely users who use a DroboShare with SuperDuper. It won't work with bundles, though, because it only supports SMB.

jrychter 03-17-2010 04:47 AM

I've tried sparse bundles and sparse images, in both cases things fail in various and mysterious ways, e.g. various errors, DroboShare going away, etc. I've seen my Drobo volume get mounted twice by DroboShare (!).

In any case, I am unable to perform reliable backups to the DroboShare.

If not bundles and sparse images, what do people use?

And I wonder — why would SMB cause problems for sparse bundles? I thought they might actually be easier to handle, because of being split into 8MB bands.

dnanian 03-17-2010 08:03 AM

SMB doesn't support creation of the bundles... you'll see if you try with Disk Utility.

jrychter 03-27-2010 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 28965)
SMB doesn't support creation of the bundles... you'll see if you try with Disk Utility.

Yes, I noticed that (and thanks for your time responding to my support requests). But I don't really see why bundles would be more difficult than sparseimages.

Still, DroboShare fails for me with both bundles and images. A backup might work once, and fail another time. Other volumes simply cannot be backed up, it will fail every time, a different message every time.

dnanian 03-27-2010 08:08 AM

If you can send in some logs using "Send to shirt pocket", I'll try to look at what's failing. I believe that bundles are harder than sparse images because Apple uses more features of the file system (such as EAs).

jrychter 04-12-2010 03:43 AM

Dave, I don't feel good about bothering you with this, as it seems to be a crappy NAS problem. The full log probably isn't necessary, though, as it has been failing the same way for the past weeks:

| 01:34:15 AM | Info | ...ACTION: Mounting bongo-systemhd-backup
| 01:34:15 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Preparing bongo-systemhd-backup
| 01:34:15 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Setting ownership and access modes for '/Volumes/DroboShare/0db092022572/LUN0/Drobo/Backups/bongo-systemhd-backup.sparsebundle'
| 01:34:15 AM | Info | ......COMMAND => Mounting bongo-systemhd-backup
| 01:47:14 AM | Info | hdiutil: attach failed - no mountable file systems
| 01:47:14 AM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=22 (Unknown error: 0)

That's it -- it doesn't get any further.

dnanian 04-12-2010 08:14 AM

Are you able to open (mount) the bundle in Finder by double-clicking it?