Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Newbie Question re Logs (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3881)

henrydadd 03-21-2008 05:04 PM

Newbie Question re Logs

Hi. Am working through the aftermath of a crash. I need to verify the last time SuperDuper ran and what kind of backup it did. Is there such a thing as a log file I can view?

Is critical to recover a file that contains my son's entire semester of OneNote class notes. Macbook running Vista inside VMWare (after recovering from an internal HD failure, suffered a Vista corruption inside the VMWare Fusion session; now can't find the OneNote files he used in the session.

thanks,

Henry

dnanian 03-21-2008 05:48 PM

The logs are inside SuperDuper! itself -- open it up and press Cmd+L to get the last "manual" run log. Select a schedule and click "Show Log" for the schedule's copy.

henrydadd 03-21-2008 08:57 PM

thank you

Thanks a lot Dave. I will try that now.

Henry

cavenewt 03-23-2008 12:07 PM

How to see older logs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 18573)
The logs are inside SuperDuper! itself -- open it up and press Cmd+L to get the last "manual" run log. Select a schedule and click "Show Log" for the schedule's copy.

Is there any way to see older logs? Seeing that the last one failed, I need to see when the last successful one was.

Thanks.

dnanian 03-23-2008 12:13 PM

For a given copy, get one log up, then Cmd+click its title bar. The other logs are in the "Logs" folder.

scott a 05-28-2008 09:52 PM

Is it possible to access the logs from the backup volume? I've mounted my backup drive on another machine and want to look at the logs on the external drive. Basically - can I look at the log files to see which was the last one WITHOUT running SD?

Thanks

dnanian 05-28-2008 10:00 PM

They're stored in the settings package for the backup you want... the path you can see when you Cmd+click the title bar. Note that the 'current' log isn't written until the copy is complete.

scott a 05-28-2008 10:09 PM

Thanks for the quick answer - but you assume I know where the settings package is. Since you refer to package - I assume that part of the answer requires a "show contents". But where on the external HD am I looking for the package?

dnanian 05-28-2008 10:21 PM

Again, take a look at the path that comes up when you Cmd+Click the title bar of an existing log. That shows you the full path...

mimajica 11-01-2008 09:27 AM

Log viewing

I am really feeling stupid...I must be missing something. When I select "show logs" from the upper menu and get a log, but it isn't necessarily the last one. CMD + click doesn't do anything on the logs title bar.

dnanian 11-01-2008 10:35 AM

The last log for a scheduled copy is in the Scheduled Copies window - Window > Scheduled Copies. Select the copy you're interested in, then click "Show Log..."