Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Clone has failed several times, please help! (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418)

badlydrawnboy 06-02-2005 03:08 PM

Clone has failed several times, please help!

I've been attempting to clone my TiBook drive to an external 120G drive. I'm running Tiger 10.4.1

Here is the portion of the log that seems relevant:

|11:51:36 AM|Info| WARNING: Caught I/O exception(2): No such file or directory
|11:51:36 AM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/Apple Soundtrack Folder/Soundtrack.pkg/Contents/Resources/Soundtrack2.pax.gz, lstat(): 0
|11:51:36 AM|Info| WARNING: Target: /Volumes/Backup : Burn/Applications/Apple Soundtrack Folder/Soundtrack.pkg/Contents/Resources/Soundtrack2.pax.gz, lstat(): -1
|11:51:36 AM|Info| WARNING: Could not copy file with Cocoa frameworks. Attempting to copy with ditto.
|11:51:36 AM|Error| ditto: can't get real path for source

This doesn't make sense to me. Can someone please help?

Thanks,
Chris

dnanian 06-02-2005 04:16 PM

Hi, Chris -- as I mentioned in my support mail, this file looks to be damaged. Try deleting it, emptying your trash, and re-copying from the original Soundtrack (or FCP) install disc.

badlydrawnboy 06-02-2005 08:49 PM

Thanks!

Worked perfectly after I deleted the file. Thanks for the prompt response.

dnanian 06-02-2005 09:09 PM

No problem!

GenieDC 07-24-2005 09:42 AM

Still not clear...

I've been checking through the threads trying to find the solution to a very similar problem, but I'm not clear on the solution. Here's an excerpt from my log file:

|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Caught I/O exception(2): No such file or directory
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/Versions/A/SMKAppKit, lstat(): 0
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Target: /tmp/SVUmount/Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/Versions/A/SMKAppKit, lstat(): -1
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Could not copy file with Cocoa frameworks. Attempting to copy with ditto.
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/Versions/Current, lstat(): 0
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Target: /tmp/SVUmount/Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/Versions/Current, lstat(): -1
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Could not copy file with Cocoa frameworks. Attempting to copy with ditto.
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/Resources, lstat(): 0
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Target: /tmp/SVUmount/Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/Resources, lstat(): -1
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/SMKAppKit, lstat(): 0
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Target: /tmp/SVUmount/Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/SMKAppKit, lstat(): -1
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/SMKAppKit.framework, lstat(): 0
|02:38:41 AM|Info| WARNING: Target: /tmp/SVUmount/Applications/2005 World Book Reference Suite/World Book.app/Contents/Frameworks/SMKAppKit.framework/SMKAppKit.framework, lstat(): -1
|02:38:41 AM|Error| ditto: can't get real path for source

Eventually, it just shuts down the backup. As I'm reading this thread, it seems like I would need to just trash the 2005 World Book Reference Suite completely? Is that correct? If so, could I reinstall it from the original computer disks and still be able to use the program? I don't want to remove it completely from my computer just for the sake of getting an effective backup.

In case it's helpful info, I'm working with an iBook G4 running the latest version of Tiger (10.4.2?) and using a backpack 80GB USB external hard drive, which is what I'm trying to back the hard drive up to. I'm really new to this stuff -- the whole disk image concept is kind of confusing me, too!

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

dnanian 07-24-2005 09:47 AM

Hi, GenieDC.

Judging from the log, the 2005 World Book Reference Suite looks damaged -- specifically, there are a series of symlink/aliases in there that seem to be broken, which means it's *probably* unlikely to work (at least, the whole "SMKAppKit.framework" looks to be pretty busted, but -- not being the author -- I don't know what that is).

So -- what I'd do is, indeed, remove it. You should be able to reinstall it from your Software DVD pretty easily -- Apple's been very good about that kind of thing recently, but check FIRST: it should say something about restoring Software when you insert the DVD that came with the system. (Don't boot from it -- that shouldn't be necessary.)

Regarding "disk image concept" being confusing -- with a bit more direction as to what you're finding confusing, I'll try to fill in the gaps...

GenieDC 07-24-2005 04:23 PM

Thank you so much for your quick response! I tried your suggestions, and uninstalled, then reinstalled, that particular program. Then I tried to back up again, and had the same error messages come up. So...I uninstalled the World Book Reference Suite again and tried the backup one more time. Still no dice...I now am getting the error message on Acrobat, instead, which is a program I do actually need...can't just delete it.

Here's the log files:
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Acrobat Distiller 7.0.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeSelfHealing.framework/Versions/Current, lstat(): 0
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Target: /tmp/SVUmount/Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Acrobat Distiller 7.0.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeSelfHealing.framework/Versions/Current, lstat(): -1
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Could not copy file with Cocoa frameworks. Attempting to copy with ditto.
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Caught I/O exception(2): No such file or directory
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Acrobat Distiller 7.0.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeSelfHealing.framework/AdobeSelfHealing, lstat(): 0
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Target: /tmp/SVUmount/Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Acrobat Distiller 7.0.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeSelfHealing.framework/AdobeSelfHealing, lstat(): -1
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Could not copy file with Cocoa frameworks. Attempting to copy with ditto.
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Caught I/O exception(2): No such file or directory
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Source: /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Acrobat Distiller 7.0.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeSelfHealing.framework/Headers, lstat(): 0
|04:17:51 PM|Info| WARNING: Target: /tmp/SVUmount/Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Acrobat Distiller 7.0.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeSelfHealing.framework/Headers, lstat(): -1
|04:17:51 PM|Error| ditto: /Applications/Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional/Acrobat Distiller 7.0.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeSelfHealing.framework/Versions/A/Headers: No such file or directory

So is there no workaround for this stuff? Does this mean SuperDuper! isn't going to work for me?

dnanian 07-24-2005 04:29 PM

You have to understand that the problem is a fundamental problem with some files on your own disk: so, it's not so much a "workaround": the file issues need to be fixed, and then the backup will work.

So: try booting from your OSX DVD and using Disk Utility (in the Installer menu) to repair the drive (not the permissions -- the actual drive structure). Perhaps some issue that it can fix is causing problems: it's definitely worth a try.

We could, of course, write a copy script to ignore the failing files, but it wouldn't be much of a backup, then...