Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD: How does SuperDuper handle skipped/pinched off scheduled backups? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2093)

samson 02-12-2007 08:05 AM

SD: How does SuperDuper handle skipped/pinched off scheduled backups?

couldn't find any information regarding the following question, neither in user's guide nor the forum:

-> how does SuperDuper handle a scheduled backup event which has, for any reason (e.g.: mac was not running at the scheduled time), been skipped?
  1. does it remember the task and carry it out the next time the mac is shut on?
  2. does it just ignore it and skip it, continuing with the next scheduled task at the next scheduled time?

and a related question:

-> what happens to a scheduled backup that started but has been "pinched off"? (e.g. when the mac is running at the time of the scheduled backup, the backup will start correctly. but presume that after a couple of minutes the user shuts down, not keeping in mind that SuperDuper might still be running?)

[clarifying remark so you understand why i'm worrying about these issues: i just installed SuperDuper on my (totally computer-ignorant) mom's mini-mac, and i have no idea yet what all i have to be prepared for...:o ]

dnanian 02-12-2007 08:31 AM

We ignore it and back up the next time the schedule happens.

If you turn off SD! during a backup, it's basically the same, though you're going to get prompted when you try to shut down.

samson 02-13-2007 04:34 AM

tnx for the super-quick response!!

pallamf 04-18-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 10765)
We ignore it and back up the next time the schedule happens.

If you turn off SD! during a backup, it's basically the same, though you're going to get prompted when you try to shut down.

I recently purchased SD and am getting up to speed.

I suggest remembering the job and having it run the first time it can. I work crazy hours and would like the backups to run overnight. If I leave my computer closed or my work schedule changes, the backup won't run, nor is there an indication it didn't run. Therefore, the backups don't run, and you don't know it. I don't want to have to keep going in and changing the schedule, especially since there's no "run now" button.

At least having the job come up the next time it can, I have the choice of canceling the backup (choosing to be vunerable), instead of the programming canceling/not running job on my behalf with no notification.

Sounds like this might not be trivial with the scheduler. I wonder if there's a way to check the schedule, check the log. If it didn't run, fire it off now.

It's the current behavior in Apple's backup and Retrospect. Very useful feature.

dnanian 04-18-2007 10:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestion!