Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   S.D. always fails with Mac OS 10.4.8 (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715)

loosegroove 11-10-2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 9266)
It doesn't look like the Combo update actually resolves the issue, though.

I can confirm that the Combo update does not resolve the issue. I always run the Combo updater rather than the Software Update Delta version and I was still hit with the bug.

I was actually able to get SD back in working order but what I did is definitely not classified as a "fix" nor will it necessarily work for in your case.

What worked for me was I deleted all of the scheduled backups I had and then I recreated them. I use to have a daily backup at 2AM that began failing due to this bug but after I deleted that scheduled backup and recreated a new one that now runs at 1AM, I have had no problems.

It may be a fluke and the problem may come back, but I'm running fine now and I don't want to jinx it.

dnanian 11-10-2006 10:48 PM

I think it's a fluke, but it might be a fluke due to the system being less active at 1am: the level of system activity seems to have an effect on the bug.

danM 11-11-2006 08:01 AM

Gosh - what have I started

I never thought what looked like a minor comment would elicit so much grief.

What became of the "extensions deactivated" theory ? Was this a solution, and if so how does one actually "deactivate" ?

dan

Voix 11-11-2006 08:32 AM

I just bought SD a couple weeks ago. All of my backups, which are suppposed to be clones of the entire drive, result in missing files/folders, and the drive is never the same size as the original. Is my problem the same as that posted here or something different?

I've tried Smart Update and erase then backup with the same results. This is on a new Intel Mac Mini 1.83 1GB RAM running 10.4.8 with two external 300GB Firewire drives. I'm not using the Mini's internal drive.

dnanian 11-11-2006 11:08 AM

There really aren't "extensions" in OSX, so I don't lend much credence to this. You can try booting in "Safe Boot" (Shift during power on through to login), but my guess is while this minimizes the effect (since you're unlikely to be doing much else with your Mac) it doesn't resolve much of anything.

dnanian 11-11-2006 11:09 AM

"Backup - all files", as indicated in the "What's going to happen?" section, ignores temporary, VM swap and other system-specific files that have no meaning across a restart (or might interfere with startup on a different Mac), so your copies won't be the same size...

Voix 11-11-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 9288)
"Backup - all files", as indicated in the "What's going to happen?" section, ignores temporary, VM swap and other system-specific files that have no meaning across a restart (or might interfere with startup on a different Mac), so your copies won't be the same size...

But I'm missing my entire "Sites" folder. None of my Web sites have been backed up, and the size difference in the drives is in the gigabytes.

dnanian 11-11-2006 11:54 AM

I'd need to see a log from one of these runs, Voix: please send it to the support email address.

Vince-from fr 11-18-2006 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccaa (Post 9210)
Hi Vince,

Can you explain how do you disable extensions?

Maccaa

Sorry to answer so late : I have a lot of work to finish. To disable all extension, you have to restart with the shift key pressed. That's all...

RadarOnPaws 11-20-2006 04:48 PM

I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem or not, but lately SD will not run scheduled backups without crashing. It just crashes and closes sometime during the backup, the "last run" indicator on the backup schedule is blank, and no log is produced which makes knowing what happened impossible.

I can run backups manually just fine. I've checked disk permissions, etc. I really haven't changed anything on my system and yet SD no longer wants to cooperate.

I have no issues with any of my other apps crashing.

dnanian 11-20-2006 05:02 PM

There's really no difference between a scheduled and a regular backup, RadarOnPaws... but what you've likely changed on your system is updating to 10.4.8, which has a bug in it that's causing us to crash...

RadarOnPaws 11-20-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 9484)
There's really no difference between a scheduled and a regular backup, RadarOnPaws... but what you've likely changed on your system is updating to 10.4.8, which has a bug in it that's causing us to crash...

I updated to 10.4.8 long before this started... and why aren't any of my other apps affected by this? If this is an OS X problem, you'd expect crashes of other apps, especially ones I run all the time for a long period of time. They all make graphics calls.

Can I email you the crash logs for the last two SD crashes (it shows both types of errors I am getting)? I am getting Exec_Bad_Instruction and Exec_Bad_Access failures.

dnanian 11-20-2006 06:11 PM

Please feel free to mail the logs.

This affects SD! more because we're running a progress bar and a panel with a button for a long period of time, while extensive disk access is happening... this seems to aggravate the situation. But SD! itself hasn't changed either, not since July or so... and this problem started with 10.4.8.

If you roll back to 10.4.7, I guarantee the problem won't occur...

RadarOnPaws 11-20-2006 06:52 PM

Just as a follow up, I emailed my logs to Dave and he confirmed the issue is the graphics one he notified Apple of...

Thanks.

RadarOnPaws 11-28-2006 03:20 PM

Follow up again, I switched my screen saver back to one of the OS X standard issue ones and have not had the problem since.

Could be coincidence though as I think when SD launches the screen saver goes off anyway.