Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Windows virtual HD in Parallels (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3351)

bidione 12-26-2007 09:12 AM

Windows virtual HD in Parallels

While running Parallels on my MacBook Pro a virtual Windows disk is mounted/displayed on my Mac Desktop. I wonder if Superduper does a) backup this virtual disk at all and - most importantly - does monitor the content of this virtual disk and backup only the files that have changed during an incremental/differential backup. The latter one is most important for me, as 125GB out of the total 180GB Mac HD is taken up by the virtual Windows disk and I will obviously want to make sure that only the files inside this virtual disk that have actually been changed since last backup will be backed up (instead of the full 125GB during each backup session which would be both time- and backupspace-consuming).

Does anyone have experience with this? Thx!:)

dnanian 12-26-2007 09:18 AM

Your Windows disk is typically stored in a single large file on your drive, and that's how we back it up... if you want "smart" back up of the internals of a Windows drive, I'd generally suggest using a Windows-based backup program in Windows itself (inside Parallels, of course).

davebarnes 12-30-2007 12:28 PM

DaveN wrote: "I'd generally suggest using a Windows-based backup program in Windows itself"

So, what would you recommend?
Here is my problem.
I have a friend who runs Windows XP and he is not going to change that. But, he knows he needs to do backup. I have not kept up with the Windows world at all after switching back to the Mac in 2005.

What Windows-based software is equivalent to SuperDuper! ?
Ease of use is paramount.

thanks,
dave

dnanian 12-30-2007 12:58 PM

I'm sorry, Dave: I don't have any recommendations for you -- I'm not well versed enough in current Windows-based solutions to offer anything useful.

mikebore 12-30-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes (Post 16313)
DaveN wrote: "I'd generally suggest using a Windows-based backup program in Windows itself"

What Windows-based software is equivalent to SuperDuper! ?
Ease of use is paramount.

thanks,
dave

Acronis True Image, will produce an image of a complete windows HD. It can be incrementally updated, and used to restore the whole HD using it's own bootable CD, and you can browse the image to recover files and folders.

BUT not sure if it works in Parallels, so some googling would be required.

septicdeath 12-31-2007 03:55 AM

acronis

Acronis works within the virtual computer. Acronis is by far the best windows cloning solution out there. True Home is just the home solution, they have the full gammet from workstation home to server. I have even tested creating a virtual machine with the correct sized harddrive, and then booted the "rescue cd" (its actually just redhat fedora 4 based) and restored to the virtual machine just like one would expect a stand alone machine to do.
True Image home has the same system of agents that can be running within your virtual machine, monitoring changes and pushing them to a sparseimage equivilant .TIB file.

Check it out, its as easy as any mac solution, and it works on all Win OS versions out, but you will need server versions to backup server installations.
SD