Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mavericks (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6819)

dnanian 01-13-2014 08:48 AM

And the backup itself was fine?

dnanian 01-13-2014 08:51 AM

To expand on this - we've done an awful lot of testing on Mavericks, both before and after its release - and I've never seen anything like this (not just on Mavericks, but on any other release). It sounds like the files are there.

When you did the restore, did you erase the volume and restore, or did you try to restore over the existing "clean" install with Smart Update?

todivefor 01-14-2014 11:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I thought the backup was fine, but I must have been moving too fast. I just booted the external USB once again and it shows the same thing. See attachments. I then noticed that something was crashing repeatedly. I have attached the log. It looks to me like the restore worked, but the backup is bad. This external had a ML backup on it prior to my Mavericks backup. I did a copy all files which should have erased the ML backup. I looked to see if I had the SD log, but in all the backing up and restoring, it got lost in the shuffle. It looks to me like the backup did a smart backup instead of an erase. I can not rule out user error. I'll try the backup again, but before I overwrite what I have, is there anything you would like me to do?

dnanian 01-14-2014 11:32 AM

Have you tried booting in "Safe Boot" (Shift from power on to the desktop) to see if that helps?

todivefor 01-14-2014 12:41 PM

I tried "safe mode", same result. I just noticed in playing with SD, I had lost my registration. I dug out the info and re-registered my copy. Could operating with an unregistered copy cause this?

dnanian 01-14-2014 02:54 PM

No, we would never create a weird copy if you were unregistered. I'm trying to reproduce what you're seeing here, and I'm completely unable to so far.

It almost looks like the OS was damaged on the original drive, but that damage was masked by caching or something. We copied what was there, and since it had to rebuild the caches, the problem was exposed.

todivefor 01-15-2014 05:41 PM

I did another SD backup on the same system that I had restored with TM. My external USB appears to boot just fine and everything appears to be as should be. Sure can't explain other result.

dnanian 01-15-2014 07:43 PM

Me neither. Really weird - but, seriously. File systems go wonk. Things can happen. It's great to have multiple backups and to use multiple methods, as I've written many times.

I wish I understood what, exactly, happened here - obviously, if it's our fault, I'd love to fix it. But I don't know what the problem could be. Still trying to reproduce without success (which is obviously both fortunate and unfortunate).

Anyway, for others following along, it's always good to have lots of backups. As I've said, SuperDuper! Is a great complement to Time Machine... and if something goes wrong with one or the other, it's unlikely to go wrong with both.

Disk space is cheap... make use of that, and protect yourself as much as is sensible.

TimLawson 02-13-2014 02:14 PM

Any news on 2.7.2 please Dave? Long time no blog post...

dnanian 02-13-2014 02:15 PM

So close...storm's throwing a wrench into things, since I don't want to release when I might lose power and not be able to reply to people...

TimLawson 02-14-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 32744)
So close...storm's throwing a wrench into things, since I don't want to release when I might lose power and not be able to reply to people...

Oooh - sounds exciting. But yes, of course - priority no. 1 is to stay safe out there. Very windy and wet here in UK too...

macWish 03-05-2014 06:47 AM

Copy Job problems

I was having no problems with scheduled copies of SD! 2.7.1 with 10.9.1 and Applets checked in Privacy Panel of Security & Privacy. however, after updating to SD! 10.7.2 and OS X 10.9.2, the Copy Job dialog appears whenever SD! launches to perform a scheduled copy. SD! requires me to click the OK button on Copy Job dialog before proceeding. If I don't click OK, SD! quits without performing the scheduled copy.
There are 3 Applets, all checked, in the Privacy Panel and I have, for other reasons, deleted all the scheduled copies and set up a new schedule.
When I unchecked all 3 Applets, SD! launched and started a scheduled copy without the Copy Job dialog appearing.
Are the Applets no longer necessary in SD! 2.7.2?

dnanian 03-05-2014 07:57 AM

Did you delete and recreate your schedules? The Applet entries shouldn't have any effect any more - I don't know why they'd cause a Copy Job dialog to appear...

macWish 03-05-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 32784)
Did you delete and recreate your schedules? The Applet entries shouldn't have any effect any more - I don't know why they'd cause a Copy Job dialog to appear...

I deleted and recreated the schedule. Copy Job no longer appears. Is there a simple way to remove the Applets, since they are not activated?

dnanian 03-05-2014 09:19 AM

There's a ways to reset the entire Accessibility database with a command-line utility...send me some email.