Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   No blessing (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104)

dlm 08-15-2004 03:23 PM

No blessing

My backup system doesn't look like it's "blessed". I did a straight clone (which took many hours, by the way) and I also wanted to get an image made. There were errors doing the image, so that never happened. It's possible that the problems making the image caused the routine to take so long because I think the actual clone routine started after it tried to do the image.

While it appears I have a clone, the system folders, as I mentioned, do not appear to be blessed. I did read how I could jump through some hoops to get my files back, but I'm still trying to decide whether this is a product I want to buy and recommend to my Panther group.

Any ideas what went wrong? I am able to restart from either USB or Firewire. How does one go ablout blessing a system in Unix?

TIA,

dlm

dnanian 08-15-2004 03:49 PM

Hi, dlm. Why do you think the system isn't blessed? From what you've said, I'm guessing you're assuming that, because the system folders don't have "special" icons, you don't think it's blessed. But, Finder doesn't actually put the "special" icons on unless it's the boot drive, so that's not a telltale sign.

Could you locate your SuperDuper!.log (in Library/Logs off your home folder) and send it to support -at- shirt-pocket.com? I'll take a look at what happened, and we'll diagnose the problem from there.

Sound reasonable?

wbrunko 08-15-2004 03:54 PM

Re: No blessing

No remedy to offer, just to echo the problem. At the end of the clone process, the dialog window says something about blessing the system on the destination volume (a LaCie USB HD), but the message goes by so fast I can't really read it. The system folder on the destination doen't have the "X" of a blessed system. Can't boot from the LaCie drive.

wbrunko

dnanian 08-15-2004 04:00 PM

The "X" does not appear if you're not booted from the drive.

If you'll also send your SuperDuper!.log, I'll take a look. You certainly should be able to boot from the external drive, if your system is capable of doing so. What happens when you try?

Can you choose the external drive in the Startup Disk Preference Pane?

dlm 08-15-2004 05:55 PM

no blessing

When I try to restart from either of two computers, the clone shows up in the startup disk window, but after choosing it, I cannot restart. I started the computer with the option key pressed and again, the clone showed up as a startup choice. When chosen from that window, the startup process begins, but I get the circle with the line through it.

dnanian 08-15-2004 06:00 PM

Do you see the clone available in the Startup Disk Preference Pane? That "blesses" a drive as well, so if it's not booting even after that, something else is likely going on here.

I don't have a copy of your log yet -- if you could send that, it'd be quite helpful.

dlm 08-15-2004 07:09 PM

I want to do the process again & will send the log as soon as it's done.

dnanian 08-15-2004 07:16 PM

OK. If there was something obvious in there, I was hoping to save you some time before you run the whole thing again. Let me suggest not creating the image at the same time, at least for now: we should see if the clone itself works first...