Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Scheduled backups not running since SL upgrade (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5701)

scottaw 09-09-2009 12:18 PM

Scheduled backups not running since SL upgrade

Hello, has anyone had any issues with scheduled backups not running anymore since upgrading to snow leopard?

Thanks.

dnanian 09-09-2009 01:20 PM

Did you delete and recreate your schedules?

scottaw 09-10-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 26772)
Did you delete and recreate your schedules?

No, but I did edit them, thinking that this would do the same. Let me delete and recreate them and see what happens.

Cheers!

prairiedream 09-13-2009 07:27 AM

I am having a problem with my backups not running as scheduled after SL also. I have 5 backups. I did delete them all, and made sure that they say "do nothing" as their option, except for the last one, which says "sleep computer."

I have the 5 backups set 1 minute apart, to run at 11:00, 11:01, 11:02, etc. This is the weird part: backups 1, 4 and 5 run as scheduled, then the computer sleeps. It doesn't run backup 2 and 3 until I wake the computer in the morning.

I have deleted and re-instated these backups several times now, and it still seems to be doing it. I'm being very careful to say only "sleep computer" on the last backup.

??

dnanian 09-13-2009 09:29 AM

The order backups are run in is not guaranteed past the first one - the others are added to the queue, and run in an undefined sequence.

I'd turn off the "sleep" option and just allow your Mac to sleep naturally...

sjk 09-13-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 26875)
The order backups are run in is not guaranteed past the first one - the others are added to the queue, and run in an undefined sequence.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that; is there a "technical" reason for it? Surely SD! can know the time a task is added to its queue so it's surprising not to predictably behave like a FIFO.

Any I've scheduled where some will be queued have always run in their scheduled order, including four currently one minute apart.

dnanian 09-13-2009 12:32 PM

No, it's been like this since the start. It's been logged as a bug for quite a while, but it's not high priority enough to have bubbled up yet.

sjk 09-13-2009 12:58 PM

Glad to know it's considered a bug.

dnanian 09-13-2009 01:14 PM

It is -- although from a user perspective it's undefined behavior more than anything else. It's just not behaving as you'd assume it would, and that's why I consider it a bug -- violates the "principle of least astonishment".

scottaw 09-19-2009 04:07 AM

Dave, just as a follow up - one of the backups suddenly started working (I don't know why) but I deleted both, recreated them, and they both seem to be working fine now.

Thanks for your help.