Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Trouble moving to new MacBook (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4707)

AndyPack 10-27-2008 03:46 PM

Trouble moving to new MacBook

1 Attachment(s)
I did a full backup from a MacBook I was moving out of a few weeks ago, onto a Western Digital external drive, which I have since learned isn't one of the recommended drives.

Perhaps that's my problem, but maybe not. See what you think.

I've bought a new MacBook, plugged in the USB cable, and can see the SuperDuper on that drive, including when I boot up. (I startup up holding Option Key & it shows me SuperDuper. But when I then boot up with it selected, it seems I've merely booted up onto the current HD.)

I've also then gone into Disk Utility, and it won't let me select my HD as the destination. (Am I doing anything wrong here? Disk Utility is new to me.)

Attaching a photo of the Disk Utility as I'm seeing it.

Thoughts?

dnanian 10-27-2008 04:17 PM

What you want to do is reinstall the version of OSX that came with the new MacBook. Then, when prompted to 'copy from another Mac', point it at the backup. It'll bring in your files and folders.

AndyPack 10-27-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 22140)
What you want to do is reinstall the version of OSX that came with the new MacBook. Then, when prompted to 'copy from another Mac', point it at the backup. It'll bring in your files and folders.

Hmm. I've installed from the DVD it came with twice this afternoon, and both times, it never gave me that option (I just did it a second time, watching a carefully).

I'm going to call Apple and ask them if something has changed. Why can't I point it at another computer? Is it that this new MacBook came without a firewire? Is that (restore from another computer) option disabled? How strange.

dnanian 10-27-2008 05:26 PM

You did a *clean*, full install (not an archive and install), and it didn't ask you if you wanted to copy from another Mac during your very first startup? It certainly should, and it does in all my testing here...

AndyPack 10-27-2008 05:44 PM

My bad: Erase & Install (Destination > Options)

I didn't look at the options under the "Select a Destination" screen when I installed. There, yes indeed, I see the "Erase and Install" option.

I'm sure this will resolve it. Sorry for bothering you; hopefully this can help someone else in the future.

Btw - I told the Indian call center rep (Apple tech support) to check out SuperDuper, and he said he would. :)

dnanian 10-27-2008 05:59 PM

Great! Let us know how it goes...

AndyPack 10-27-2008 06:23 PM

Okay, it's working.

On the Screen, "Do You Already Own a Mac?"
Would you like to transfer your information?
The options:
1.) From another Mac? (requires Firewire or "Use AirPort" ...can't work)
2.) From another volume on this Mac (USING THIS)
3.) From a Time Machine Backup
4.) do not transfer my information now

Next Screen, "Transfer Your Information" ... it has filled in the SuperDuper files automatically.

...interesting that I never saw "SuperDuper" anywhere. I never even selected it as a volume or anything. It's got my name (apparently reading my user name from the SuperDuper backup).

Wow... "About 19 hours and 29 minutes remaining..." (it says at 4:18 PM) I'll let you know how long it really turns out to be. Running this on the USB2, since this new MacBook has no firewire. Ouch.

Man... I just bought a laptop without a firewire port? Ugh. What am I going to do with video camera? This is crazy.

AndyPack 10-28-2008 09:12 AM

Resolution: Restore ala USB 2.0 in 1hr,50min

No bad at all. Thanks guys.

dnanian 10-28-2008 10:06 AM

There you go: not so bad. :)

joet3ch 11-20-2008 02:01 PM

Nice!

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't just boot my old macbook pro's superduper clone with my shiny new macbook pro. However the 'transfer from volume' transition tool worked great.

Only issues I found afterwords was that the apple devtools (xcode,gcc,etc) were no longer installed, the firewall settings were set back to default, macports was broken, and /etc/hosts + /etc/ssh_config were set back to defaults. I did make sure to check all boxes for every selection in the transition tool.

All in all, I am extremely satisfied not having to manually build my new system! Pays off to be religious with keeping your SuperDuper clones up to date. :D

dnanian 11-20-2008 02:08 PM

Great! Glad it worked well for you. (Usually, 'bootability' with newly released Macs returns once the update after the machines are released is released -- so, in this case, 10.5.6.)