Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD does not release the drive. (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3993)

Izzy 04-21-2008 03:11 PM

SD does not release the drive.

Hello guys,

It happens to me on several Macs - after using SuperDuper I cannot unmount the second drive. I have to power down my MacBook to do so.
With Firewire drives it may be OK, though not very convenient.

Now I have two 750 gig drives inside the MacPro, one of them is an exact replica of the other (Main Drive). After running SuperDuper, I cannot run any utilities (Disk Warrior, TechTool) on the second replica drive because none of the utilities can unmount it... If I will start from the second replica drive - my main drive cannot be unmounted...

Please help!

:: Izzy ::

dnanian 04-21-2008 03:24 PM

Make sure you have it added to the Spotlight Preference Pane's "Privacy" tab, Izzy.

Izzy 04-22-2008 04:05 PM

Add to Privacy what?

I understand you mentioned to put "it" into Privacy area in preferences of the Spotlight. Did you mean a second backup drive? Or main drive as well? Because either one does not want to unmount when present as a second drive (not startup).

In addition, I would like to use Spotlight as it is very convenient. But may be if it is only backup drive added to Privacy pane then it is cool, as I will get double search results anyway?
Is it a second drive you meant?

dnanian 04-22-2008 04:27 PM

I mean the backup drive.

Izzy 04-22-2008 06:25 PM

Thank you! I will try that.

All the best!

Izzy 04-27-2008 06:18 PM

Ok, I followed your comment and I can run utilities on the Backup drive.
I had to erase Backup drive first, drag Backup drive in the Privacy window in Spotlight Prefs of Main drive, and do the backup of Main drive using SuperDuper. OK, done.

But the second issue still there - I cannot do the same when powered from the Backup drive. I cannot drag Main drive to the Spotlight Privacy window - it is taken hostage and cannot be ejected or removed. And even if I would've been able to drag Main drive into the Privacy window while powered from Backup drive - it will change next time right after I use SuperDuper. As it will duplicate my settings of the Main drive. I cannot keep both drives in Privacy - then I cannot use Spotlight...

So what can I do - to be able to power from either drive and be able to run utilities (and therefore remove/eject the other hard drive)?

Please help.

dnanian 04-27-2008 10:24 PM

Did you try naming the backup the same as the source?

Izzy 05-01-2008 05:28 PM

Hi,

I did not try to name the Backup drive the same as the Source drive. If I will do that - I will have two identical looking drives on my Desktop with the same name. Seems like a perfect scenario for confusion...
May be I will change the icon of the Main drive? I don't know... I will try.
Are you sure it is a good way to solve this issue?

Is there any other solution you may suggest?

Thank you for your help!

dnanian 05-01-2008 05:42 PM

Yes, I'm sure, actually. :)

Izzy 05-01-2008 06:05 PM

Well, so much for being so sure :-)
I just tried this and it did not work well.

I named the backup drive identically to the main drive.
Changed the icons to be able to see which one I am dealing with.
Checked in Spotlight Prefs to make sure that Macintosh HD (main drive) is in the Privacy area. (I guess it will be backed up to my backup drive).
Used SD to backup my main drive.

Restarted from the backup drive:
1- each drive appears on the desktop with icons overlapping each other (I guess due to the same name). I tried it twice after separating icons on the Desktop - same thing.
2 - cannot run any utilities on the main drive as system cannot eject the main drive. Checked the Spotlight prefs, now that I started from the backup drive to see what copied during the last backup - the backup drive is in the Privacy area . And though its name is the same as main drive - I clearly can see the icon of the backup drive.

I cannot say I am sure :-), but it seems to me that it is not possible to fool the Spotlight prefs just by dragging the drive with particular name assuming that all the other drives that have the same name will be ignored by Spotlight. Looks like it is not just name based - Spotlight prefs remember that actual piece of hardware that was dragged into Privacy Area.

May be I am wrong, but it seems to me that my scenario (having main drive and backup drive inside of computer) is not that outlandish.
So hopefully that solution you will find would be helpfull for others as well.

That's why I will ask again :-)
Is there any other way?

dnanian 05-01-2008 06:12 PM

I have no other suggestions for you, Izzy: naming the drives the same way should work fine (and does for me, when I've tested the same solution).

Perhaps you can try to see what files are open on the other drive. To do so, run:

sudo lsof | grep "/Volumes/The Original Drive Name 1"

in Terminal. Note that "1" is because your backup drive would be named the same.