Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   sparse bundles and the new 2.6.2(87) update (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5885)

rdlsmith 10-25-2009 03:02 PM

sparse bundles and the new 2.6.2(87) update

Just noticed in the latest upgrade it claims support for Sparse Bundle images.

What does this really mean? I've been using SmartBundles for some time now as a way to secure the content of sensitive information. I'm able to mount the external LaCie drive and drag the bundles back to the desktop and mount them.

As long as I know the password or am logged into an account where the password is stored in the keychain, it seems to work fine.

So, what wasn't working before?

Is there any reason for me to suspect that some existing Sparse Bundles residing on the external backup drive are corrupt? If so, do I need to force a complete backup vs. an update?

Thanks,

Randall

dnanian 10-25-2009 04:28 PM

I don't know what a "SmartBundle" is, but we now support the creation of Sparse Bundles in addition to Sparse Images. Neither one is encrypted, so I think you're referring to something different.

We've always supported backing up to whatever HFS+ volume you might be pointing to (vs. direct, UI-supported creation)...

rdlsmith 10-25-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27641)
I don't know what a "SmartBundle" is, but we now support the creation of Sparse Bundles in addition to Sparse Images. Neither one is encrypted, so I think you're referring to something different.

We've always supported backing up to whatever HFS+ volume you might be pointing to (vs. direct, UI-supported creation)...

I meant sparse bundle, it was a typo.

Sparse Bundles do have the ability for encryption. This is done when you create them via Disk Utility. 128 or 512 -bit AES encryption are the options.

So, what wasn't working before? In version 86, when it prompts you to update, one of the things it mentions is support for sparse bundles.

Is there any reason for me to suspect that some existing Sparse Bundles residing on the external backup drive are corrupt? If so, do I need to force a complete backup vs. an update with the latest version?

Thanks,

Randall

dnanian 10-25-2009 09:35 PM

Sparse Images also allow encryption. As I said, v2.6 directly supports the sparse bundle type in the "Disk Image..." picker... there's no reason to expect anything's corrupt, and I don't know why you'd make that assumption.

rdlsmith 10-30-2009 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27643)
Sparse Images also allow encryption. As I said, v2.6 directly supports the sparse bundle type in the "Disk Image..." picker... there's no reason to expect anything's corrupt, and I don't know why you'd make that assumption.

Because when SD! notified me of an upgrade it included the following text concerning what "new features" were included:

- Support for "Sparse Bundle" images

I read that and thought maybe there wasn't support before the current version.

I have attached a screen grab of what I'm talking about.

In any case, you say it's not an issue and the spot checks I've made seem fine so I'm good with that.

Thanks

CrashDavis 11-14-2009 11:24 PM

I think the OP thought that SD just now started supporting sparse bundles in the backup. So he had been storing them in his backup, and was worried that SD didn't support them in the backup until the latest release.

:)