Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Applications - backup & restore (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803)

Ross 11-19-2006 10:45 AM

Applications - backup & restore

I had a slight glitch with my boot HD in my Power Mac (a problem with a Volume which TechTool Pro may not be able to fix...). So, I'd like to backup to an external drive - but only the OS (10.4.8) with my critical applications; I'm happy to 'lose' the old trial/demo apps that are scattered around my disk...
I'd then like to re-install OSX on my Boot drive, then restore my main apps back onto it - along with data associated with each app.
Is this possible..?
Many thanks
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dnanian 11-19-2006 01:37 PM

Do you already have a good backup, Ross?

Ross 11-19-2006 01:45 PM

Re Backup

In short, no, not yet (not even downloaded Suoer Duper yet...).
My PowerMac is running TechTool and scavenging data off the drive; looks like it'll be at least a couple more hours...
Most important stuff (video capture / edits / video Masters) is all kept on external drives, but I'd really like not to have to re-install the mains apps such as Final Cut Studio suite, MS Office, etc..
My concern is the error on the main HDD which indicates a problem with the volume - hence Tech Tool booting from eDisk and trying to remedy the situation first.. I have a 500GB f/w drive on order. When it gets here I can at least attempt cloning my boot HDD onto that..
Thoughts?
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dnanian 11-19-2006 01:51 PM

I'd install a fresh OS to a different drive, then migrate during the first boot from the drive that's not working well... it's worth a try. I wouldn't make a backup until you have a successful copy -- you're going to have trouble copying every file you need, if I had to guess.

Ross 11-19-2006 02:43 PM

Dave,
So - if I've got this right - I need to make the new f/w drive bootable first, then I need to migrate the whole of my current installation on the main HDD over to the new ext drive. If I do that, I assume that the apps and data will transfer across, correct? What about the volume error? If that is due to a corrupted file (say), won't that also get transferred over? If it doesn't get transferred, then I can see that it should be OK..
Then, presumably once it's all OK (and boots from) the ext f/w drive, is the next step to reinstall OSX on the main HDD, run disk checking / volume checking, and then if all's well, migrate the f/w stuff back to the main HDD...??
Is that the correct approach?
Thx, rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dnanian 11-19-2006 05:55 PM

The migration will leave the OS on the other drive, and won't migrate "volume errors"... you should be OK. Then, clean up and erase the original drive, and just use SD! to copy back to the main HD.

Ross 11-19-2006 06:04 PM

Dave,
That's good, and what I'd hoped-for... I'm trying to rebuild the directory structure using Disk Warrior, but it's interminably slow... as it's showing 'speed inhibited by disk malfunctions'... don't like the sound of that...!
Is it worth trying to rebuild the directory structure, or should I abort and await the new drive over to which I'll migrate the OS, etc...?
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dnanian 11-19-2006 06:06 PM

I'd abort: your drive is definitely failing, and you want to get the stuff off it as soon as humanly possible. Do not touch your existing backup! It might be all you have left.

Ross 11-19-2006 06:14 PM

Dave,
Thx, aborting now - and awaiting arrival of external drive..
I really appreciate your timely repsonses - above and beyond the call of duty..!
As soon as the drive arives I will purchase SD! and put it into service asap..
Thanks again.
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dnanian 11-19-2006 06:18 PM

OK, Ross. Good luck!

Ross 11-27-2006 10:55 PM

OK, have now installed SD!.
Did a complete back up onto a LaCie f/w drive. System boots OK from that LaCie f/w drive. So now do I erase the Mac HD? If I do that, can I simply 'Restore' using OSX's Disk Utility from the f/w drive?
Do I need to erase the Mac HD first? Won't the Restore erase the Mac HD before transferring back the OS, Apss, and any data..?
I'm just a bit wary of deleting everything off the Mac HD - sort of goes against the grain somewhat...!
How do I use SD! to do the restore, or copy - back to the Mac HD..?
Thx,
Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~

dnanian 11-28-2006 11:48 AM

You'd simply restore with SuperDuper!, Ross, copying the other way -- as described in the User's Guide. Have you taken a look there?

Why would you delete everything on Macintosh HD if you don't need to?

Ross 11-28-2006 05:04 PM

Dave,
Yes, read it - thanks..
Successfully Restored to Mac HD. Re-ran volume checking - no problems found (relief). Reverted to booting from Mac HD, and will now set-up a back-up regime to the Firewire drive.
Very neat software; excellent value - thanks..!
Rgds, Ross.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dnanian 11-28-2006 06:21 PM

Glad it worked well for you, Ross.