Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Backup failing because of Intego, Virus Barrier (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4330)

Michaelanthony 07-21-2008 08:50 PM

Backup failing because of Intego, Virus Barrier

Tonight, for the first time, my backup failed and choked on something to do with my Intego Virus Barrier.

The error message, in red, says some process isn't permitted. Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

dnanian 07-21-2008 09:38 PM

Turn off Intego's "real time scanning" when you're backing up. (Intego is aware of the problem and is working on it...)

rmf 07-22-2008 08:48 AM

Turning off real time scanning doesn't solve the problem for me. I had to build a script that excluded the offending virus barrier file. I've corresponded with Intego tech support with a "bug report" since this started last week with an update they did, but to date have no response.

dnanian 07-22-2008 08:52 AM

I've not seen one that turning off real-time scanning didn't fix; perhaps you could send me your log with "Send to shirt pocket"?

rmf 07-22-2008 10:51 AM

Doing the clone now after turning off real time scanning. Will send log when done.

rmf 07-22-2008 11:15 AM

Woops

Ran it after making sure auto scanning was off, clone was flawless. My error. Sorry for the goof.

dnanian 07-22-2008 11:42 AM

No problem, glad it worked.

Michaelanthony 07-22-2008 01:20 PM

Fixed

Hey guys,

There was a new virus definitions update and it fixed the problem. I have to say, I have never experienced better customer service than I have with ShirtPocket's Super Duper. Mr. Nanian is amazing!

Mike Anthony

grmlaw 07-24-2008 03:24 PM

Intego's response

This is the response of Intego to my inquiry about its new program update crashing SuperDuper:

"We have had reports of similar issues, which were escalated to our developers. After investigating the issue with VirusBarrier 10.5.3.1 and SuperDuper our developers have concluded that an update to SuperDuper will be require to resolve this. In the mean time you can add /Library/Intego into VirusBarrier trusted zone and your clone should complete without issue."

dnanian 07-24-2008 04:35 PM

Unfortunately, they're incorrect. Adding /Library/Intego to the trusted zone doesn't work, according to the users I've forwarded that to.

It's regrettable that they're pointing fingers at us, when the problem certainly seems to be in their court. It's one thing to deny access to an infected file: the user is then alerted that the file is infected, and can take action to remedy the situation.

It's another thing entirely to install files onto a drive that can't be copied due to the action of their kernel extension, and not even allow the files (which have rather bogus names with single byte ASCII characters that are typically 'invisible' to the user) to have their date/time information retrieved, even from a process that's running with root privileges.

Intego needs to have a bit more respect for their users than they're showing, I think. Scanning for (nonexistent, I might add) viruses should not prevent users from copying their completely uninfected drives.

eedrac 09-04-2008 01:23 PM

This seemed to work for me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 20517)
Unfortunately, they're incorrect. Adding /Library/Intego to the trusted zone doesn't work, according to the users I've forwarded that to.

The error message I received was:
| 04:37:29 AM | Error | SDCopy: FTS_NS error for item: '/Library/Intego/virusbarrier.bundle/Contents/Resources/ \004' err: 1, Operation not permitted\n
Instead of adding /Library/Intego to the trusted zone, I added the file, virusbarrier.bundle to the trusted zone and that seemed to do the trick... I hope that helps.

RonaldPR 09-04-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eedrac (Post 21305)
Instead of adding /Library/Intego to the trusted zone, I added the file, virusbarrier.bundle to the trusted zone and that seemed to do the trick... I hope that helps.

Are you sure you did not have Real-Time Scanner disabled?

I tried adding /Library/Intego/virusbarrier.bundle to the trusted zone, but still the backup failed with:

| 01:37:26 AM | Error | SDCopy: FTS_NS error for item: '/Library/Intego/virusbarrier.bundle/Contents/Resources/ \004' err: 1, Operation not permitted\n

eedrac 09-11-2008 05:21 PM

Sorry about that. I was sure I checked to make sure it was enabled, but now when I run it, it doesn't work, so I suspect you're right. Sorry for the confusion.

Does anyone know if there's a way (a script maybe?) to exclude the offending Intego bundle from the clone? I know it's not an elegant solution, but it might be a good workaround until the problem is fixed...

imdgp 09-16-2008 05:24 PM

?scripting

Is there any scripting that will turn off virusbarrier realtime scanning, before a backup and turn back on afterwards??

I am worried that I may inadvertantly leave it off!!

cheers

David

imdgp 09-16-2008 05:30 PM

does this happen with other antivirus products?

Hello again,

does this problem happen with nortons???

Cheers

David

I noted that CCC flags the same error but does not abort.