Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Old to new! (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6467)

microwe 06-22-2011 03:45 PM

Old to new!

I have used SD for many years to make weekly backups of my two Macs. I am waiting delivery of a new int hard drive for my 13" MacBook Pro. Fortunately I have never had to use SD to restore data and therefore have no experience.

Before I make a stupid mistake, can someone please confirm that before replacing my existing h/d, I make an up to date backup to my ext h/d then when the new h/d is installed I can then copy the backup from my ext h/d to the new int one.

Is it as simple as that or am I missing something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael.

dnanian 06-22-2011 03:58 PM

Hi, Michael. See the FAQ section of this forum - specifically this one.

microwe 06-23-2011 11:01 AM

Dave thank you for the reply. I am going to be completely honest and admit that after searching the web for hours and hours for the best way to change my int h/d and then reinstall all data I am 100% confused. I honestly don't know where to start.

Would you please be kind enough to start me off by confirming the following. Do I install my brand new h/d in my MBP then install Snow Leopard from the DVD that came with the it so that I can then partition the new drive in Disk Utility, if not how do I partition it?

Am I being completely stupid to think that I can then copy the SuperDuper backup that exists on my external drive into my new drive that I have just installed. Please enlighten me if I am talking rubbish.

From my searches, a lot of users have recommended that one should install the new drive in an external enclosure, then using SD make a backup of the int h/d. They then recommend that the two drives are switched so that the new drive is now in the MBP with the backup data on it.

I have never really understood what is backed up with SD so now is the time to ask. When you say it makes a clone copy does that mean that everything is backed up or just files. If it makes a true clone of my MBP hard drive why can't I just reverse the process and back up from my ext h/d to the newly installed drive in my MBP?

I apologize if I am asking the most basic of questions, and to some users talking complete nonsense. It is times like this that I envy the youth of today being brought up with modern technology. I expect that the majority could do what I am trying to achieve with their eyes closed. However, when you were born in the 30's things are a little harder to grasp.

Michael.

dnanian 06-23-2011 01:31 PM

Drop me an email to support, Michael, and I'll give you some detailed instructions as to how to replace a drive, vs. a clean install and migration.

But what's backed up with SD! are your files and folders. Not quite sure what you mean by "everything", since what is everything on a drive, basically, but files a folders (and their appropriate attributes)?

microwe 06-23-2011 02:16 PM

Thank you Dave. I will be in touch.

Michael.

microwe 06-24-2011 09:46 AM

Thank you so much Dave for taking the time and having the patience to explain everything to me via email.

Michael.

WalterW 07-25-2011 04:22 PM

Old to new #2

Quote:

Originally Posted by microwe (Post 30647)
<snip>

Before I make a stupid mistake, can someone please confirm that before replacing my existing h/d, I make an up to date backup to my ext h/d then when the new h/d is installed I can then copy the backup from my ext h/d to the new int one.

<snip>

Michael.

Hello dnanian.

Thanks for a great product. Been using it for years now.

My question is similar to the one (quoted above) that started this thread.

I bought a new iMac 27 about a month ago. The harddrive on it (and some others in the same manufacturing run) were recalled by Apple.

I have already configured mine much to my liking, including backing up with Superduper to an external, bootable Firewire 800 Lacie drive.

I've confirmed that each of the three bootable partitions I made and imaged to are bootable and work fine.

As I'm disabled, Apple has allowed me to avoid having to drag the 27" behemoth into the Genius bar here in Tulsa and sent me another iMac exactly the same as the first one, except with a harddrive that is expected to make it to MTBF.

The machines are same model and configured exactly alike, but the latest one made about a month later with a different harddrive.

Can I just restore my backup of the recalled one to the new one.

The Smartdrive report has verified the recalled drive in the original iMac is OK.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Walter

dnanian 07-25-2011 05:18 PM

Yes, you should be able to start up from the backup (hold down Option during power-on), and use SuperDuper! to restore.

Alternative, if it's got a fresh drive in it with a fresh OS, you can start up from it and, when it asks you if you want to copy from another Mac, point at the backup volume and have your applications and data brought in

Either way should work fine.