PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC sleepimage not being copied?

DavidCB
05-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I have a SuperDuper backup clone of my hard drive and another clone made from the first one, on identical volumes on two different drives. When I use Get Info, the first clone is about 3.5 GB larger than the second one, although taken individually, the four directories (Applications, LIbrary, System and Users) are the same size size in each clone.

Using WhatSize to examine the volumes, I see that the first one has another directory, "4.14 GB private," in which there is a "3.35 GB vm" folder, in which in turn there is a "3.22 GB sleepimage." This is obviously from my VMWare Fusion virtual PC.

My question is, why doesn't SuperDuper copy the sleepimage file--whatever that is--also?

By the way, the virtual PC is not suspended in the first clone, but shut down, as it was on the original drive when that clone was created.

Thank you,

David

dnanian
05-23-2011, 11:06 PM
No, that has nothing to do with Fusion. It's your Mac's sleep image, and since your Mac isn't asleep, there's no point copying it.

DavidCB
05-23-2011, 11:30 PM
No, that has nothing to do with Fusion. It's your Mac's sleep image, and since your Mac isn't asleep, there's no point copying it.

I notice that other clones are identical in size. What makes the difference with this one?

David

dnanian
05-24-2011, 08:17 AM
All sorts of things - I do try to indicate this in the "What's going to happen?" section: various temporary files, swap files, sleep images and the like aren't copied, since they have no meaning across a restart and/or will interfere with restoration to a different Mac.

With a "pure" data drive, the sizes will be closer, but even then the Spotlight information may be different (since it's preserved on the destination).

DavidCB
05-24-2011, 01:24 PM
All sorts of things - I do try to indicate this in the "What's going to happen?" section: various temporary files, swap files, sleep images and the like aren't copied, since they have no meaning across a restart and/or will interfere with restoration to a different Mac.

With a "pure" data drive, the sizes will be closer, but even then the Spotlight information may be different (since it's preserved on the destination).

Now I understand--thank you for your help.

I knew about temporary and system-specific files not being copied, but sleep images were not on my radar and since this was so large (3.5 GB), I thought something might be wrong.

David