PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard Server

backtomac
10-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm going to purchase one of the new minis with SL Server for my business. I would like to back up the server with an external drive that I can take off site each day using SuperDuper.

Will SD work with SL Server?

dnanian
10-22-2009, 12:03 PM
It will, but copying a live server is hard to do when things are actually active. We provide before/after copy call-outs to shell scripts that you can write to stop services, checkpoint databases, etc and then clean up when the copy is done.

backtomac
10-22-2009, 12:20 PM
It will, but copying a live server is hard to do when things are actually active. We provide before/after copy call-outs to shell scripts that you can write to stop services, checkpoint databases, etc and then clean up when the copy is done.

This will be for my dental practice. I can do it at the end of the day and have all users log off their machines if necessary.

Oddly the app I'm going to use ( Mac Practice) isn't backed up by time machine. So its SD or nothing I guess.

PS I use SD on my iMac and MBP at home and they are great. Thanks for the great product, great support and reasonable price of the app! (I just realized who replied)

dnanian
10-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Make sure any database used by Mac Practice is also closed and everything's turned OFF...