PDA

View Full Version : Segmented dmg files - can it be done?

Darkstar47
07-14-2005, 05:37 PM
I have a Tiger image that converts to a SuperDuper dmg file that is about 10*GB in size. I'd like to segment this into 4 GB chunks so that I can burn the subseqent chunks to DVD for archival purposes. I use to be able to do this with Carbon Copy Cloner. Is there a way to do it with SuperDuper? (High compression yields a dmg that is 6 GB – still too large to fit on a single DVD.)

dnanian
07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Not in an automated way, no. But, you can create a sparse image instead and use hdiutil directly to convert and segment the DMG... man hdiutil in Terminal will give you the technique to use.

Darkstar47
07-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know that it *can* be done, but - ugh! - the man page for hdiutil prints out at 30 pages! Maybe I should put in a feature request! :)

dnanian
07-14-2005, 10:28 PM
It's not something that's asked for very often, so I'm a bit reluctant to actually add it as a real feature. However, if I find some time, I'll see if I can work up a post-copy script that might do the trick for you... or, if you figure it out (it shouldn't be *that* hard), feel free to post up here!

sjk
07-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I'd eventually be interested in this, after freeing up enough temporary disk space for image segments.

Syzygies
01-18-2006, 09:40 AM
See Make large files span multiple optical disks (http://www.aaronadams.net/index.php/2005/10/18/make_large_files_span_multiple_optical_d).

The relevant command example from this link is

hdiutil segment -o Desktop/Dogs.dmg -segmentSize 4.37g Desktop/temp.dmg