PDA

View Full Version : Smart Update Won't Stop

Voix
10-22-2006, 02:20 PM
I originally set up a scheduled daily backup using Smart Update. After realizing that Smart Update updates on the fly (is this correct?) I decided to switch to "Copy Different Files."

But my files still are showing up in my backup volume immediately after they are placed in my primary volume. I'm afraid that if I screw up a document I won't be able to get yesterday's copy because the backup is too current.

Am I making an incorrect assumption that the files are being backed up immediately? For instance, if I create a new movie called test.mp4, it immediately shows up in my backup volume. Either it was copied or is indexed with the intent of being copied later. Either way, I'm confused.

Thanks in advance.

dnanian
10-22-2006, 04:25 PM
You are definitely confused, Voix.

Neither Smart Update nor Copy Different - nor anything else in SD! - updates "on the fly" this way.

What you're probably doing is "opening" the backup drive, and then using one of the various buttons in the Finder Sidebar to open Movies, Music, or whatever.

These buttons always open that folder on the original drive, not the backup. So, you're simply looking at the source again...

Voix
10-22-2006, 09:32 PM
You're right, that was it. Thanks for clearing that up.

dnanian
10-22-2006, 09:35 PM
You bet -- glad I could help.